CHAPTER 117

6 – 7

Therese was six years old when she learned that she was, in fact, a daughter of the Storm family.

The Neumann house was forever teetering, it seemed like it would only be a matter of time before it finally collapsed.

Her father and mother had often apologized to Therese. For all the hardships that she was being put through, that she was having to endure as such a young girl, saying that they were failures as her parents. We're so sorry.

She didn't want to hear those words. They only made her more miserable.

Therese's nature was twisted by those constant apologetic words. Although they never told her things directly, Therese was a bright girl for her age, and eventually figured it out.

You've become an outsider. So, we apologize. We're not your real family. Just thinking about it was painful. It was miserable. She wanted someone to save her from that pain. She couldn't take it anymore.

But, even though the Storm family were her real parents, they didn't want to take Therese back, not letting her stay whenever she came to their home. It made sense, of course. Because they were the ones who had thrown Therese away in the first place.

– I want to be saved.

Therese had always clung to her cousin's hand. Although her real father and mother had abandoned Therese, there was still her... her real sister...

– Please don't leave me.

Camilla, without knowing anything, had pulled her hand away from Therese's. To Therese, it was a betrayal by the one person she had left to cling to.

– Why?

Even though they were family. Even though they were sisters. Even though they were true sisters.

– I would never have abandoned you like that...

No matter how fearsome their opponent might have been, she wouldn't abandon her. That hand of Therese's that Camilla abandoned all those years ago would now be the very same hand that saved her.

So long as Camilla asks Therese to save her.

– I am different from you, sister.

That was all.

Therese pushed Katarina off her and barrelled past Patrick, rushing to Camilla's side.

She didn't care about the astonished look on her parent's faces. Sidling up beside Camilla, she spoke in a whisper so soft that only she could hear.

"Oh, my poor sister."

At the sound of that sweet voice, Camilla turned to glare. She was met by Therese's face, that was full of a bright smile.

"Those parents of yours have already abandoned one child. There's no reason why they would hesitate to do so again. I don't think there's any reason to so desperately cling to them, is there?"

"Therese...!"

In contrast to that sweet voice, those words were laced with venom. As far back as she could remember, ever since her attitude towards her changed, Camilla had never recalled Therese being so frank and direct with her words. Perhaps there was no time for biting sarcasm or veiled mockery now?

"I won't abandon you, sister. If you wish for me to save you, then I'll do everything I can to help you. That's what family is for, isn't it?"

"I don't need you to save me!"