CHAPTER 31

2.5 – 4

"What did I just say!? Don't boil the milk! It'll curdle!"

"I stopped it at the last possible second! It has not boiled!"

"That's only because I noticed it! You messed up royally the last time you tried it, remember!?"

"I stopped it on my own!!"

"Is that so!? What the hell is wrong with you, huh!? You've been acting like you own the place this whole damn time!!"

"Why, you insolent...!!"

That afternoon. After the busy lunchtime service, the cooks had once again vacated the kitchen. Although the kitchen was usually quiet, today it was somehow even louder than during lunch.

Hoisting his heavy body from the dining room, Alois followed the din echoing from the basement, puzzled over what was going on.

Both of those fiercely arguing voices were familiar to Alois as well. One voice belonged to Günter, a cook who had worked for him for many years. The other person was...

"...Camilla? What are you doing here?"

"Ahh, Lord Alois! Perfect timing!"

As soon as he called out to her, Camilla swiftly turned on her heels.

"Please wait there for just a moment!", she ordered him, taking two dishes from the bench. Then, without giving Alois even a moment to question what she was doing, she began to scoop something into the dishes in front of her

– ...Porridge?

Peering over Camilla's back, Alois looked at the kitchen's oven top. There were two shallow bowls and two frying pans. He watched as Camilla used a ladle to dole out thick and lumpy white masses onto the dishes.

What was going on? Alois truly had no idea.

It's always around this time of day that Günter prepares Alois' snacks. Well, even if they're called snacks, this was still Alois. It was still quite a considerable meal by anyone else's standards, but that's besides the point.

It was one of Alois' secret pleasures to taste them in the kitchen before they were properly served to him.

Knowing this was something Alois looked forward to every day, Günter always made sure the kitchen was quiet and ready for him on these secret visits down to the basement.

So, the noise today was deeply unusual. Of course, it was all because of Camilla.

Just what on earth was she doing here?

He thought about that as he looked around the other kitchen countertops bereft of people. There were various ingredients that had been cut into various states and half empty bags of wheat with the tops rolled down. Drops and smears of milk were left on the bench, as if there hadn't been a moment to clean up after themselves.

The stove tops were stained, a sign of rough and tumble cooking. It was completely different to Günter's elegant and clean cookery. Whenever he cooks, he's usually so clean and orderly that by the time the last dish of the service was ready to go to the servers, his station would be so clean it's as if he had already washed it down.

Camilla thrust the two dishes in front of the still confused Alois.

He could smell the gentle aroma of milk from the steam that wafted up, making him imagine a warm taste. Both of the dishes had a serving of porridge and it was hard to see any difference between them. But for whatever reason, they were made in separate pans.