CHAPTER 90

4 (3) – 17

From that point on, everything was oddly busy.

It was hard work cooking skewers for all those children. "Argh, I can't bear to look at this!", Günter said in the meantime, and began to grill meat together beside Camilla.

"You coarse girl! Do you even know what it means to be delicate with food!?"

"I'm coarse, you say!? Those eyes of yours must be painted on!"

"Just throwing such succulent meat on the grill haphazardly like that, how can you be anything but!? Argh, damn it! I'll train you from scratch, lass!!"

"Are you saying these skewers aren't delicious!? I didn't need any instruction from you to do this much!!"

"Save the cheek for when you can actually outcook me! You'll be regettin' this when we're back in the kitchen, ya hear!?"

As they kept up their usual screaming match whilst cooking those skewers for the children, the ones that had already received theirs began to walk towards the town square, chatting happily to one another.

After some time, the children's' mothers came.

They must have come looking for their children who had gone out to play. After finding their children in the plaza or wandering down the main street, they eventually found themselves at the stall as well after seeing what their children were eating, as if following the scent.

"So there really was a festival going on after all, then? It's somewhat different to what I imagined it to be."

As she said that, one of the mothers looked around the main street, with all of its busted and trampled stalls. Looking at the street, Camilla could only see it as vandalized, but perhaps people who had never seen a festival before might see it differently.

"...Those really do like quite delicious don't they? My kid also had one... Um..."

"Adults have to pay five pieces. Only kids get free food, right?"

The boy who had led his mother over by the hand said that with a proud grin. The mother seemed to be at a loss for a moment, but eventually gave in to her curiosity and bought one.

As they cooked it over the grill, another person came up to the stall. Günter's plan of attracting customers through smell may have paid off after all.

Some of the people approached the stall out of sheer curiosity. And after some time, that curiosity would turn into custom. Eventually, the stream of curiosity seekers and customers became a torrent.

"One please."

At the call, Camilla repeated the price, something she'd lost count of how many times she'd said.

"They are five Licht coppers each."

"Oh? They cost money?"

When she raised her head at the sound of that stingy voice, she saw a face she knew staring into the stall. It wasn't the sort of person she was expecting, being a pale and elderly man. His white hair was disheveled and the clothes he wore little more than rags. As she looked at the destitute looking old man, Camilla felt the words leave her lips before she could think.

"You, you're Klaus' poetry teacher, aren't you?"

The root of all evil. He was the one who had originally requested Klaus solve the issue of the underground music that disturbed him.

"I remember you. You were with Klaus, weren't you? I'll take three then. If'n ya don't mind."

"Do you have any money? Buying three wouldn't be cheap for you, would it? You can have it for free."