CHAPTER 71

4 (2) – 12

Even if Camilla made little improvement in her relationship with Alois, there was some success with Victor and his group.

Otto and Finne had gone beyond just being able to make sounds and could now play the entire musical scale in order on their oboe and flute. Dieter managed to adjust the power with which he was pounding out notes, and Verrat stopped straining her throat as she sang. Victor, meanwhile, had become able to play simple tunes on his violin.

Whenever any of them made progress, the entire group gathered around and congratulated the individual. Whenever one expressed having trouble with a certain part, they would all encourage the person to keep trying and do their best. Camilla came to realize just how strong the friendship between them really was. What's more, she understood just why Klaus was so intent on teaching them.

However, those peaceful days were fleeting as the reality they were avoiding suddenly reared its head.

It was a fine day without a cloud in the sky, though the chill in the air was enough to turn one's skin red. When she went out with Klaus and the others as per usual, Camilla noticed that the central boulevard was much noisier than usual.

Because of the biting winter cold, it was rare to see this many people on the streets. There was something ominous about the noise, those voices echoing down the street had a disturbing air to them.

When Klaus decided to go and investigate, no one argued with him as they all raced towards the cause of the commotion.

At the center of all the uproar was a group of armed and well-dressed men.

Next to the strong looking men, someone cried out. They recognized the young man who fell to the ground.

"...Victor!!"

Camilla's shout was swallowed up by the noise surrounding them. 'The poor thing', 'What an idiot, huh?', 'They're reaping what they sowed', 'No, this is going too far...'.

As she was surrounded by a swirl of countless voices, Camilla was stunned.

Just why were Victor, Dieter and Otto thrown on the ground like that? Otto and Dieter groaned in agony as they were struck over and over again by those men's fists. Only Victor wasn't being held down, barely managing to bring himself back upright. Because of that, she could see the bruises and cuts all over his face.

Stumbling backwards, Victor fell to his knees next to Finne and Verrat, whose arms were being held behind their backs by two other men. It didn't seem as if they had been beaten like the boys. Whilst being forcefully restrained, Verrat's head hung despondently as Finne cried in terror. At their feet, there were bundles of torn up and shredded paper... That could only have been their musical sheets.

"Franz's vigilantes...!"

Klaus muttered angrily. The notorious vigilante mob directly under Franz's control, the group that Victor and his friends had feared so deeply. They were incredibly strict when it came to enforcing Mohnton's taboos and were well known to make public examples out of anyone breaking the rules.

They must have learned about what the young musicians were doing in the underground cellar. That they were playing music that was banned in this town.

– Just how were they discovered!?

Did someone betray them? That's what Camilla thought at first, but she shook her head.

In the first place, there had been plenty of rumours about what was happening underground. They must have forgotten to close the door to the underground cellar, and a curious vigilante investigated the noise.