CHAPTER 120

6 – 10

"Reporting! The rebel leaders in Falsch had called up the troops from Einst, and in response, they've...!"

The two of them held their breath as the soldier raised his voice.

But, the blood that ran cold in their bodies began to flow again when he said something unbelievable.

"...The troops from Einst have not moved! Most of them have remained stationary, except for those who had already set off!"

"What did you say?"

Before Alois could say anything, Klaus questioned the soldier incredulously. But, before he could say anything more, another soldier burst into the room with a second report.

"Lord Alois! Reporting! In the battle between the Blume forces and elements of the army from Einst that had been continuing since yesterday, it appears the Einst forces have been repulsed!"

"Haaa!? Blume did that!? How the hell...!?"

"I-it appears an excellent commander has taken charge of the defense..."

"Excellent commander...?"

Klaus crossed his arms. There was only one name that came to his mind. Still completely stunned, he stood in silence.

"Lord Alois, b-bad news! Ever since we sent out the word asking for volunteers yesterday, we've received far too many applications, and we don't have enough equipment or supplies for all of them!"

Alois blinked like he was in a stupour as yet another report came in. He needed a moment to fully comprehend the words that were washing over him one after another.

His fingers trembled, his body shivered, his heart shook. He had no words. The only thing he could do was let go of the breath he held between his lips.

And all that came to mind were all the places that he and Camilla had visited together.

Even though he still hadn't thought much of Camilla back then, he still let her travel with him for the first time.

In the autumn of the previous year, Grenze came to know Camilla.

It was the first time Alois could remember lashing out in genuine emotion before.

"Noooo! I said I'm going to fiiiiight!!"

"Stop saying such idiotic things!"

The old woman who ran the orphanage rapped her knuckles over Rolf's head. That headstrong kid had immediately tried to run out when he heard the news.

"Even if you go, the only thing you'll do is get under everybody's feet! Making sure the soldiers are well fed is also an important job!"

"Buuuut...!"

"No buts! If anything should happen to you, then Lord Alois and Lady Camilla would be sad. The most important thing you can do now is to make food and pray for those two as hard as you can."

"Muuu," Rolf frowned, but eventually gave up and started moving his hands again. All the children were busy helping make food for the men from Grenze, as well as biscuits that they could carry with them as rations on the road.

They weren't people who could fight for Alois and Camilla, so instead the orphanage volunteered to help the soldiers. Even if it was just a little, they wanted to help however they could. Making meals and praying for their wellbeing.

The soldiers found the oddly misshapen biscuits funny, but still received them from the children with a smile.