CHAPTER 110

5.5 – 3

"Oi oi, dad... that's just insane."

In the Lörrich mansion in the heart of Blume, Klaus spat those words out in exasperation as he stood in the family head's room.

Klaus felt an unfamiliar chill run up his spine, more fitting for the dead of winter than the light of spring. The sun had begun to dip below the horizon, the dusk's light streaming through the windows casting large shadows across the room.

Klaus faced the current head of the Lörrich family, as well as his father; Rudolph. Even though Klaus' face had lost some colour, Rudolph's face looked almost ashen as his eyes gazed downwards.

"I was wondering what was going on when you suddenly began arming, but this? Uncle's ambitions are nothing compared to all this. Do you seriously even understand what you just said yourself?"

As Klaus confronted him, Rudolph shook his head slightly.

"I know. But, it's something that only the three heads of the families that serve the Montchat and others close to them know about. It's a secret that has to be kept, no matter what the cost. At least, that's what sister said..."

"Well, yeah, ain't that the damn truth. Something like that, do you know just what would happen if it spilled...!?"

Rudolph looked up at Klaus, who held his head with an angry sigh. There was a slight glint of relief in his eyes, as if he could finally unload at least some of this heavy burden that had been hoisted onto his shoulders suddenly onto Klaus' as well. But, the one suddenly being pressed upon wasn't so meek about accepting it.

"And, so, why the hell are you telling me this now? Ah, shit, now that I think about it..."

Klaus came to a realization. He'd always been wondering; just what had been the point of Lucas and Gerda's antagonism over all these years?

Lucas was a passionate and ambitious man, but he was hardly someone that couldn't be controlled. Someone who always worked so obviously in his own interest would be simple to entice or to trap. So long as Gerda played her cards right, she could have Lucas do whatever she pleased. But despite having the ability to do that, Gerda had instead always chosen to confront him directly.

If it were simply a matter of manageability, then Lucas would have been a much better candidate as the next leader of the family than Klaus. Klaus had no intention to even listen to Gerda's intentions, much less carry them to fruition. Klaus would do what was best for the town, according to his own principles. Perhaps, he would actually stand opposed to Gerda on most things.

But yet, Gerda had been determined to have Klaus as the heir.

"Because uncle also had designs on the royal family. There's no way someone like him could've been let in on it."

The reason why Klaus was more suitable was precisely due to the fact he didn't possess that sort of towering ambition. He wasn't blindly passionate either. He knew that certain things were important to bring to the light with a sense of justice, whilst others were best left in the dark.

And this secret was something that needed to be kept well in the shadows. For the sake of House Lörrich, for the sake of Blume... and for the sake of himself.

"...Hey, Klaus. What am I supposed to do now?"

As Klaus ground his teeth in frustration, Rudolph looked at him imploringly. When his father called out to him with such those childish words, Klaus' expression only darkened further.

Rudolph, the man who was supposed to be his father, called out to his son like a child begging for help.

"Because sister is gone, I don't know what to do anymore. You understand that, don't you? You're the one she chose, after all..."