Chapter 19- The Conquerers (thanks, Padfoot)

"What're you listening to?"

Frannie looked up from where she laid on the common room floor, humming softly to herself. James stood above her, his hazel gaze curious as he stared at the Muggle radio at her side. Draco and Remus were busy playing Wizard's Chess in the corner, seeming to be taking the whole Gryffindor/Slytherin rivalry to heart as Sirius cheered Remus on (and seemed to be giving him a few pointers).

"Simple Man," Frannie replied, adjusting the knob on the radio and motioning for James to sit next to her, hoping he wouldn't refuse. "By Lynyrd Skynyrd."

"Sounds like a wizard name," to her relief, James settled down at her side, stretching on the carpet as Frannie closed her eyes.

"Your decade holds some of the greatest music invented, Potter." She tapped her hand gently to the beat. "Listen."

"Forget your lust for the rich man's gold

All that you need is in your soul

And you can do this, oh babe, if you try

All that I want for you, my son is to be satisfied."

Peeking upon her eyes, she turned her head to watch James listening carefully, his head turned slightly towards one side as he closed his gaze.

"And be a simple kind of man," Frannie sung softly, her voice light against Sirius's cries as Draco evidentially destroyed one of Remus's pieces. "Be something you love and understand."

She sighed as the notes began to fade, disappearing into the air as the moment faded. "Music," she recalled Dumbledore's words from her first feast in the Great Hall. "A magic beyond all we do."

She looked over to see James watching her with a curious expression, his head now propped up in his hand as he leaned on his side. "You have good taste."

"Thanks," Frannie smiled shyly, feeling her heartbeat quicken as her cheeks warmed in the glow of the fireplace.

"YOU SO CHEATED!" Sirius looked scandalized as he glared at Draco, shaking his fist. "There's no way you could have beaten both Moony and I—" he cut himself off with a wide gaze as he realized his slip up.

Draco raised an amused eyebrow. "It seems Gryffindors are not as valiant as they say," he looked over at Lily and Peter, who were busy studying on the sofa. "Frannie and I have something to discuss with you all."

Frannie swallowed, feeling a bubble of nervousness rise in her chest. She scrambled up from the floor, sitting with her legs crossed as the rest of the group made their way to the center of the room. "Muffilato," she waved her wand, looking around to make sure there were no passerby. It was rather late, so she doubted it.

"As you know," Draco began stiffly, forcing an air of confidence as he sat down in one of the arm chairs. "Frannie and I have been trying to change the future we know. This includes defeating the Dark Lord."

Peter's eyes widened as he squirmed on the floor, picking at the carpet. "He's still alive in your time?"

"Unfortunately," Draco drawled, kicking up his legs on the nearest table and ignoring Lily's reproachful glare. "But we know his weakness." He looked over at Sirius. "Black, since you've had the only respectable childhood education, have you heard of a horcrux?"

Frannie's father paused before shaking his head slightly, his hair pulled back into a low loop. "Sounds faintly familiar," his lip curled. "But I made it a point to forget whatever came out of Walburga's mouth."

Frannie grimaced, all too familiar with the witch's slurs and accusations. "A horcrux is a way to immortality. To create one, you must first commit an act of murder that splits your soul," she explained carefully, trying to make it simple. "Then you can retain part of your soul in another object, making you impossible to kill unless the object is destroyed. It's very dark magic."