Chapter 32- A Cousin's Love

Frannie pulled on the sleeves of James's sweater before she took her boyfriend's hand, feeling her cheeks flush with memories of the night before as the Gryffindor sent her a suggestive wink.

James leaned closer, his breath stirring the hair behind her ear. "You look entrancing today, Fran."

"Hold on!" Sirius snapped from in front of them, ducking into their usual alleyway in Hogsmeade as he folded his arms at James and Frannie. "My father alarm is going off!"

"You found out you were a father like three months ago," Remus rolled his eyes, doing a headcount of the items in his satchel. "And seeing as she's made it to adulthood, Frannie is probably safer without your advice."

Sirius didn't bother to respond as he saw James scratch the back of his neck sheepishly, his cheeks a faint pink. "NO!" he looked at Marlene, pointing at Frannie and James accusingly. "Love, our daughter has been shagging my best friend. She's even wearing his jumper!"

"Hold on," Frannie retorted as James spluttered beside her. "How are you blaming me? Isn't the dad supposed to defend his daughter's virtue?"

Sirius gazed at her solemnly, shaking his head in disappointment. "Honey, you're a Black. Virtue doesn't exist for our dark souls."

"Frannie is literally one of the nicest people I know," Lily rolled her eyes, flicking her wand against her thigh impatiently. "Second to maybe Alice," she smiled at the Gryffindor girl.

"EVANS!" Sirius looked scandalized, running a hand through his dark locks. "You were supposed to stop this by declaring your long-suppressed love for James!"

Frannie swore her heart stopped as James's hand tightened around hers. However, Lily just shook her head in amusement.

"I still wouldn't touch Potter with a broomstick," she nodded at Frannie's boyfriend. "No offense."

"None taken, Red." James grinned as the two shared a look Frannie couldn't quite decipher. "I don't think I'm really your type anyways."

Lily flushed a bright red as Frannie looked at James in surprise, her gaze narrowing. "What—"

"Oh, for Merlin's sake," Draco snapped, extending his elbow impatiently as he tapped his foot on the stone. "We don't even know if we'll survive the night, save the whole 'who fancies who' rot for later."

Sirius looked at his relative in distaste. "Well, aren't you a bright ball of sunshine." He shook his head at Frannie, "you know that saying blondes have more fun? I think Malfoy—"

She couldn't hear the rest of his sentence as Draco grabbed her arm, pulling her on the spot and apparating onto a rocky island, the pebbles slick under Frannie's feet as the wind tossed her hair wildly, threatening to push her into the foamy ocean below.

"Well," James looked around at the crashing waves, waving his wand and drying the bit of rock they were standing on. "I will say Voldy has a knack for real estate."

Frannie laughed despite her fear, giving his arm an affectionate squeeze. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Regulus take position at the front of the island, his hood pulled over his head. She knew he was worried about Kreacher.

"ALRIGHT!" Remus called above the rush of the waves, looking over at Alice and Marlene. "You two need to be prepared to disapparate at any second to alert Dumbledore of our plans if things go awry. Lily and Peter will take the back to make sure we aren't followed. Sirius and the others will handle the Inferi if needed." A determined look gleamed in his brown eyes, his figure dwarfed by the grey mist around them. "I'll take the potion."

"WHAT?"

"ARE YOU BONKERS?"

"NO WAY!"

James, Frannie, and Sirius spoke immediately, their gazes wide with horror.