Chapter 4

The day couldn't have dragged on any longer for Adriano Dos Ramos. Unfortunately for him, he was stuck in yet another stock debriefing and this one seemed to be the most boring of them all. He hated the fact that his father made him attend such meetings once every week, and it particularly bothered him today.

His leg bounced rapidly with impatience as he counted down the minutes it would take for him to be up and out of the blasted conference room. For crying out loud it was already six pm, almost seven. He was running late for his dinner arrangement and he knew he'd receive an earful for this.

This is so unfair! He thought with a scowl. Was this what being a CEO of a giant shipping company was about? Wasting time discussing such petty matters? It was completely absurd to him. There were many people in building who could handle this issue about stocks yet there he was, pretending to be interested. Surely he hadn't signed up for this.

Adriano cursed the day he had been born into the Dos Santos family. It was anything but easy to be molded into the heir of his father's empire from a tender age. Thinking back, Adriano never really did have a normal childhood. He's spent a better part of his life adapting to the business world, prepping to be the next Humberto Dos Santos and what big shoes those were to fill.

How he would have loved to lead an ordinary life, even just for a day. Many people think being the son of a billionaire is all that but as the saying goes not all that glimmers is gold, something Adriano could fully testify to. Not only did the burden of running a cooperation fall on his shoulders, it was only made heavier by the fact that lots of people had their eyes on him, waiting for him to stumble and fall. What a life...

"...and I think that's all for today, unless Mr Dos Santos has something to add?" the managing director asked and everyone's eyes flew to Adriano.

He was immediately brought out of his thoughts. Finally, he wanted to cry with joy but settled for a simple shake of his head. "No. This meeting is adjourned, you may all leave," he announced authoritatively, causing everyone to rise and begin to file out.

Adriano was out the door before anyone could blink, making his way to his office. Once there, he gathered some contracts he needed to go over and stuffed them messily into his briefcase. After grabbing his phone, he hastily paced to the elevator, down to his Bugatti Chiron.

He was soon on the Miami highway, driving a little faster than usual. If he was lucky, he could still make to the restaurant before she left. Just then, his phone started to ring.

"Hello-"

"Where are you? I've been waiting for you for an hour now! And why were you not picking my calls?" she fired angrily.

Adriano sighed, stepping on the gas pedal a little harder. "I got stuck in a meeting, sorry. I'll be there in about ten minutes," he replied apologetically. He knew she would be furious.

The other end remained silent for a few seconds and then she spoke. "It's okay, I get it. Your work comes first, as always. I'll see you when you get here," she muttered sadly and cut the call.

Every single aspect of Adriano's life was complicated. His job was always getting in the way of things, his love life included. He barely had time to date, but somehow his relationship with Amanda lasted longer than usual. It might have to do with the fact that nobody knew they were together, his father included. To everyone else they were just good friends, but behind closed doors they were starcrossed lovers.
Humberto would never approve of his son dating a realtor like her because apparently she was 'not good enough', whatever that meant. He wanted his son to be entangled with some high flyer like himself, or in other words, somebody in his social circle and the heiress to some big business. Amanda did not fit either one of those categories.

Minutes later, Adriano pulled up to the front of his destination and got out. He handed his keys to the valet before he proceeded inside. He couldn't help the excitement that was bubbling inside of him. Amanda and he hadn't seen each other in weeks due to his relentlessly busy schedule. An evening with her ought to relieve him of the pent up stress.

Just as he walked into the building, someone ran smack into his chest. His hands shot out to either side of them on reflex, so as to prevent them from falling. Looking down at who it was, his eyes were greeted by cascading raven hair. The mystery woman looked up and then he got a glimpse of her dazzling cyan eyes, and a very beautiful face to match.

"Are you alright?" he asked with concern but she did not reply, well not immediately.

She seemed to be utterly surprised and embarrased. "Umm, y-yeah. I-I'm so sorry, I was kinda distracted," she replied abashed, a slight blush creeping up cheeks and slightly moved away from his chest. His hands, however, took longer to retract from her sides and he had no idea why he had done that.

Adriano offered her a sympathetic smile. "It's quite alright. Better me than the wall right?" he joked and she laughed, nervously. His eyes roamed to the scenery behind her and he immediately spotted Amanda, who seemed rather irritated.

"If you'll excuse me," he said politely, side stepping her and proceeding into the restaurant.

Amanda looked up as he approached the table, shooting him a rather spiteful look. "Took you long enough," she spat as Adriano kissed her cheek and took a seat opposite her. "Whose that woman you were talking with?" she questioned. Her voice had an underlying hint of jealousy.

"Nobody I know. She just bumped into me on her way out," he replied with ease, picking up the menu and glancing at it. "This is quite a menu. Have you eaten yet?"

She rolled her eyes, seeming to not buy his former statement. "Well, you seemed smitten with her by how you grabbed her waist. For your information, she was on a date with that man over there," she said motioning to the table at the opposite end of the room.

Adriano turned his head in that direction and instantly recognised the person. "That's Logan Hunter. What was she thinking going on a date with him?" he asked rhetorically.

"Wouldn't you want to know?" Amanda scoffed sarcastically.

"You know what, jealousy is not a good look on you. Seriously, Amy. How many times do I have to remind you that I only have eyes for you!"

"Then why doesn't everyone know that we're together, huh? Why is what we have a secret?" she whispered angrily, bring her arms onto the table with a soft thud.

Adriano rubbed his face, becoming visibly frustrated with the situation at hand. "Come on, we talked about this. You know how my father is and as soon as he finds out, he will do everything in his power to end this."

Amanda looked her, tears beginning to form in her hazel eyes. "I hate this, you know. I hate that I cannot hold you or kiss you whenever I want. It's like we're living in some Romeo and Juliet kind of world," she sniffed sadly.

Adriano dropped the menu he was holding and stood up. Amanda looked at him in confusion. "Let's go," he commanded, extending his hand to her.

"Where are we-"

"I haven't seen you in three weeks, and I think I need to show you how much I missed you. Alone. Just the two of us, with nobody watching," he said and smiled warmly at her.

Amanda took his hand and returned his smile, then they both walked out of the restaurant.

________________________

Enjoy this chapter guys...

~Deetronite