Chapter 39

"I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that. Did you say that you're pregnant?" Ximena's voice boomed in the kitchen. It had to be some kind of joke, right? There was no way that was what her baby sister had said that. Her ears were probably playing tricks on her.

When Andrea nodded her head, Ximena burst out into laughter. "That's a good joke, Andy. I swear you got me!" she hollered, slapping her knee in hysterics. "This is all a prank, right?"

Adriano shot Ximena a pointed look, unimpressed by her reaction, which made her shut up. Going over to her, he removed her hands from her face and began to hush her. Only then did it dawn on Ximena that it was no joke. Andrea was dead serious, if her tears meant anything.

"Mierda (shit)! What were you thinking Andrea Dos Ramos!" she fired, exasperated by the ordeal.

Adriano engulfed Andrea in a hug as he continued to rub soothing circles on her back. "Ximena, would you calm down. Yelling at her isn't going to help, now, is it? Let her process her emotions and then you can go all big sister on her," he chastised her and she closed her mouth, hating the fact that he was very correct.

A few minutes later, Santiago and Chelsea joined them in the kitchen. When their eyes landed on a weeping Andrea holding onto Adriano's torso like it was the only pillar of support she had, they knew then and there that something serious had transpired. And to think Top Gun: Maverick was beginning to get interesting...

Having calmed down, Andrea pulled away from Adriano and wiped the saltiness from her cheeks. "Okay, now that you're done, mind explaining?" Ximena sliced coldly, eliciting a glare from three pairs of eyes. To hell with what they thought. How could she not be angry? All her life had been about being a role model for her sister and brother, and yet one of them had gone astray. She pointed at all three of them. "You guys shut up! I need answers. Start talking before I call dad," she added darkly.

"No! Please don't call him," Andrea pleaded, her hands clasped in front of her. "Fine, I'll talk." She sat up straight on the stool and looked her sister dead in the eye. "I started seeing a guy a few months ago, after I met him at your party. It was my first time experiencing something like that; it was an instant attraction. We clicked and then we took it further over the summer vacation. And then a couple of weeks ago we-," she gulped nervously, looking down at her hands.

"Took a roll in the hay?" Santiago suggested, and Chelsea slapped the back of his head. "Ow," he pouted reflexively, rubbing his head. "Well, we all know that's exactly what they did. A baby was conceived for goodness' sake!"

Adriano rolled his eyes. "Thank you for the contribution, Santi. Much appreciated," he remarked dryly, and then turned his attention back to Andrea. "Okay. So, who is the guy?" he asked her, but she refused to meet his eyes.

Chelsea laid a hand on her shoulder. "We need to know so we can help you," she urged gently, as though she was talking to a five-year-old who'd shown up lost at the carnival

"Omar Pedrad."

A pin drop silence permeated the air. Nobody moved but jaws hanged low as eyes also almost popped out of their sockets. "What?" the four adults shrieked in bewilderment.

Andrea buried her face in her hands once more. Ximena blinked, not sure how to really react. "Omar Pedrad as in Omar Pedrad, our friend...the player?" Santiago asked, completely stunned. Adriano looked very pissed after the initial shock, fists balled at his sides. Chelsea had to hold onto the island to prevent her legs from buckling from under her.

"What the hell were you thinking! He's flipping 8 years older than you and not mention that you're a goddamn minor! Dios mio," Ximena practically screamed, almost pulling at her hair. If she was this angry, how would their parents react? It was certainly clear that this would not even end well.