Chapter 29

“If you don’t hurry up, we’re going to be late,” Chelsea fired, trying to hasten her friend’s speed in getting ready but Ximena paid her no mind and continued to leisurely put on her ruby earrings. She moved her straightened hair around to make it fall into place.

It was the night before wedding. The past two weeks had been nothing but hectic with all the plans and preparations. Dolores, with the help of Andrea, Samara, Chelsea and a whole lot of experts had managed to organize a modest yet somehow extravagant plan for how everything was supposed to go. Ximena, and Adriano, did not have much of an input but when they were needed, they helped.

To be honest, the only reason why she was relatively calm was because she had gotten to interact with Adriano more over the past few days, and even shared a few kisses with him. Their bond was growing and she felt so happy about it. She wasn’t as nervous anymore about getting married to him.

Emilio had been busy with work, trying to prepare the entire company for the shift in power, which would take place once she’d come back from her honeymoon in Ibiza; which had been Adriano’s idea to go there for a week. Salvador was here and there, but nowhere in particular. It’s like he had faded into oblivion that almost everybody forgot he was around.

“I don’t understand why I can’t go with you guys,” Andrea pouted and plopped onto Ximena’s bed face first. “You’re going to have so much fun without me.”

Ximena stood and slipped into her silver Balenciaga strappy heels which complimented her silver Prada off the shoulder metallic dress. “Must I remind you that you are still a minor, hermana. Your time will come too and you’ll go to every party and club you desire. For now, just be 17,” she said as she walked over to her little sister and ruffled her hair, to which Andrea swatted her hand away.

A knock came to the door and Salvador popped his head in. “Mum told me to tell you that your ride is at the gate. Should I send it in?” he asked casually.

“Yeah, let it in,” she replied and then turned to her best friend. “I still don’t know why we couldn’t just take my car.”

Chelsea stood by the mirror striking different poses. She looked gorgeous in a cream lace dress and matching white Prada heels. Her light brown hair was curled to perfection and it sparkled in the light. Her make-up was composed of neutral colors, adding to her model looks. “Because we’re probably gonna be drunk by the end of the night and DUI isn’t my jam,” she sang and then went to retrieve her clutch from the dressing table. “Let’s get going.”

Just then, Ximena’s phone started to ring. She took it off the charger by her night stand and answered it without checking the caller’s ID. “Hello?”

“Good evening, beautiful.”

Her heart beat spiked. It was now the norm whenever she heard Adriano’s voice. She couldn’t help the fish-eating grin that wiped across her lips. “How are you doing Adriano?” she inquired, trying to hide the excitement in her voice but failed miserably. Chelsea and Andrea both started to making kissing noises at her, but she just shot them an unamused look.

“Much better now that I’ve heard your voice. Have you left yet for you party?”

“Not yet but we’re about to. My ride just got here. And you, have you left yet?”

He sighed and she heard things shuffling in the background. “Just about to. Santiago is picking me up anytime from now. Just wanted to call and check up on you. Are you nervous?” he asked her and she smiled at his concern.

“Well, not that much. I think everything will be alright, since you’ll be by my side,” she added shyly and he laughed deliciously. If only he had been right in front of her…