Chapter 37

Two weeks had already passed with everything having somewhat reverted to the old routine that Ximena had been used to, only with minor modifications. Preparations had been made for the day when she would be officially handed over the reigns of the family business, along with Adriano inheriting his father’s company; only that these two events would be done separately. Plans were still in the pipes for the announcement of the joint company and there were even talks for the construction of a single building where operations would be conducted in the future.

It was all very stressful but Ximena was looking forward to it nonetheless. Having woken up only twenty minutes ago, she closed the shower faucet and stepped out, grabbing a towel to dry her body and another one for her hair. She went over to the sink and took out her blow dryer and took care of her hair. Once done, she secured the towel around her body to prevent it from falling and then walked out of the room. At the exact moment she entered the bedroom, Adriano also got in.

Their eyes locked, but she found hers subconsciously sliding down his torso which was on full display, glistening with sweat from his morning run. It still surprised just how in shape and ripped he was; like some kind of a Greek sculpture.

“You know, if you take a picture, it will definitely last longer,” he teased with a knowing smirk and she looked away in mortification. Had she made it that obvious that she was staring? But who could blame her, the guy was just too fine…

Still standing by the door to the bathroom, he came over to her, regarding her with predatory eyes. Only then did it occur to her that she was clothed in nothing but a flimsy towel…and that in spite of her previous effort to keep it firmly around her body it was coming undone. Stopping a few inches away from her, he leaned down and whispered in her ear. “One of these days, I will have you. All of you.” Placing a feathery kiss on the crook of her neck, he opened the door and disappeared into the bathroom.

That was not the way she had envisioned she would be starting her morning.

Blowing out her cheeks which were undoubtably rouged, she went over to her vanity dresser to apply some lotion to her body. Next, she entered the walk-in closet and got dressed for the day. It was a a simple yet sophisticated outfit consisting of a white short sleeved executive dress with a gold belt that ended mid-thigh and she paired it with white Louboutin’s. Back at the dresser, she combed her hair so it was parted in the middle. Applying some red lipstick and mascara, she gave her face a once-over before spraying her favorite Givenchy perfume and heading downstairs for breakfast.

During the course of the past two weeks, they had hired a chef and a maid to help around. They were both very nice and competent that she couldn’t have asked for better employees. Entering the kitchen, she was greeted by the chef, Manny who had already prepared some mouth-watering food. In no time she was seated by the island, digging in to the toast, sausage, omelet and orange juice. Adriano walked in some minutes later, tying his tie. He was donning a cream suit with a light blue shirt and cream silk tie, looking handsome as usual. His hair was combed yet still wet, making it look darker than it actually was.

Manny began to serve his plate as he took a seat beside his wife. “So today is the day,” he drawled in a relaxed fashion, still having a go at his tie.

Ximena nodded, taking a sip of her juice. “Yeah, it is. I can’t wait to get it over with. It feels like I have been waiting my whole life for this moment,” she told him, watching him struggle with his neck tie. Manny placed his plate before him and a cup of cappuccino.

Huffing in annoyance at the lack of cooperation of the little piece of cloth, Ximena laughed at his weird reaction. She stood up and took it from him. “The great and fearsome Adriano Dos Santos struggles to knot a tie, at this age? Shame on you,” she mocked him as she expertly did it for him within seconds.