Chapter 38

So far, the car ride had been filled by nothing but silence. Of what variety, Adriano had not been able to pin point yet. He strummed his fingers on the steering wheel to the tune of the song that was playing, passing quick glances at Ximena, who seemed lost in her own thoughts as she hummed along.

“You’ve been quiet for some time now. Penny for your thoughts?” he asked smoothly, making sure to keep his eyes fixed on the road.

Ximena laughed and tucked a tuft of hair behind her ear. Her eyes were directed outwards, admiring the passing scenery. It was rush hour, with most people now on their way home. Sure, the traffic was a bummer but she didn’t mind it all. “You’re a jerk, you know that?” she told him, and he frowned.

“I’m a jerk? What did I do?” he inquired, curiosity dripping in his voice. As far as he knew, he hadn’t done anything wrong so far, or had he? Damn, just like her to make him question himself.

She turned her body so that she was facing him. “I saw how you interacted with Dom. You were rude and that is unacceptable,” she reprimanded him, tone totally serious.

He laughed humorlessly as he brought the car to a halt. They had arrived at their destination; the restaurant where they had first bumped into each other. He too turned to her. “You can be so naïve sometimes,” he tsked and then opened the door to exit the car. Coming over to her side, he opened the door for Ximena and held a hand out to help her exit, but she ignored his outstretched hand and got out on her own. Her face was slightly contorted in anger.

“What do you mean by that?” she demanded; lips quirked downwards. Adriano handed his keys to the valet and they both made their way into the building.

As expected, it was quite packed but within a few seconds he had spotted a place for them to sit. “It doesn’t take a genius to notice that that idiota has feelings for you,” he retorted sarcastically as the walked towards a corner table. Pulling a seat out for Ximena, she sat down and then he proceeded to sit opposite her.

“Again, with that? He does not have feelings for me!” she huffed in defiance, causing Adriano to roll his eyes.

“Oh please. Have you seen the way he looks at you? He’s practically in love with you!” he gritted out, suddenly feeling his anger peaking. What was going on with him? Why did he feel angry?

Ximena was about to fire you back when a waiter came to interrupt World War III. Both quickly scanned the menu and placed their respective orders. He trained his eyes back on her once more. “Look, I’m not sure if you’re aware of this but I am very interested in you. So much more interested than I have ever been with any other woman. Now, to see another guy trying to get close with you so blatantly just pisses me off. You became off limits the moment you became my wife. Nobody is allowed to look at you with longing except me,” he voiced confidently, gaze unwavering.

The feelings he had towards Ximena were genuine, pure and ever growing. Just because he hadn’t quite figured out what this intense emotion, he was currently harboring was, it didn’t mean he would let anyone act anyhow around her. She was his, end of discussion.

Ximena looked at a loss for words. Looking down at the table where her palm lay, she smiled coyly. “You sure do know how to make a girl blush,” she said lowly. Adriano took her hand in his and placed a kiss on it.

“I’m just stating facts, sweetheart. And I do love making you blush. You look so cute when you do that,” he added huskily with a flirtatious wink and Ximena found herself giggling uncontrollably.

It wasn’t long before their food arrived and they got underway to eating. They conversed about work, their interests, their goals, past achievements. Halfway through dessert, Adriano felt a pair of eyes on him and by chance, wen he looked to the right behind Ximena, he found the last person he’d ever want to see whenever he was with his wife.