Chapter 18

It had been about 45 minutes since they'd arrived at the mall and they'd just wasted all that time walking around aimlessly, just looking at the different stores and facilities there. It was truly a massive mall.

They also hadn't exchanged any words since the doughnut incident. Something major had shift between them, a sort of energy. Adriano felt it and he was pretty sure Ximena had too but neither of them cared to talk about it. He did, however, feel like they needed to discuss their upcoming nuptials now that she wasn't angry and seemed distracted.

He cleared his throat and stopped walking. Noticing it, Ximena stopped as well. He turned to her, his face expressionless. "We need to talk about the wedding," he said straight to the point. He didn't like beating around the bush. "I know you're not in favour of it but at this juncture in time we really don't have much of a choice. We need to come to some kind of agreement."

Ximena shifted from foot to foot, clearly nervous. "So, what do you mean agreement?" she asked nervously. The discussion was already headed in an awkward direction.

Taking a step closer to her, he looked deep into her eyes. "This is going to be a real marriage. I don't know about you but I think holy matrimony is sacred. Even though the conditions aren't favourable, I'm willing to overlook that and try to make this work," he went on, his tone nothing but firm and serious.

At his words, Ximena's cheeks began to burn. "Y-you mean that-"

Adriano took her hand in his. "We don't have to rush anything. Probably we can start of as friends maybe and see where it goes from there. What do you think," he inquired, his piercing jade orbs penetrating her soul.

Ximena bit her lip. "Are you sure you want that? I mean, why do you even want to do that? Anyone in your shoes would be nonchalant and would definitely go on with their lives, find other women," she trailed off. His grasp tightened and she immediately knew that there was someone he did like. "You have someone, don't you?" she stated softly, rather than asked.

Though it pained him to admit it, he shook his head. "I do not have anyone I'm seeing." He sounded unbothered but she heard the waver in his voice. "Do you?" he fired, almost as though he was accusing her of something.

She jerked her hand out of his and crossed her arms on her chest. "No, I'm not seeing anyone," she breathed, embarrased.

"Good, then we have a mutual understanding. Now, about the wedding arrangements..." he trailed off and she turned her face to the side. Coincidentally, they were standing in front of a bridal shop and a magnificent gown was on display. She gulped when she saw it and envisioned herself in it.

"...I think you'd look amazing in that," he commented. She shook her head, trying to wipe away her daze. She gave him a quick glance, then fixed her eyes on the dress once again. "You think so? But it's bad for the groom to see the bride in her dress so I'm not getting it," she teased, to which he rolled his eyes but smiled.

"Planning a wedding is a big deal and I don't know if I can do it alone."

"You're not alone. You've got your mom, your sister, probably Samara too," he said the last part with a tiny scowl. "And I'll be there too...when I'm not busy with work. Dios, this entire thing is hectic. Soon we'll be having to deal with the company issues, taking over and the like," he exhaled and ran a hand through his dark brown hair. How is he that handsome without even trying, she thought shamelessly.

She grabbed his hand and began to tug him in the direction that had come from. "Come on, let's go and find something to eat," she said. He didn't move.

"Is this how it's going to be when we're married? You pushing me around and me just following you?" he inquired, his gaze unreadable. She shrugged but kept pulling him and this time he complied and let her whisk him away. "What a spoiled brat," he muttered to himself but she heard him. She turned back to him and shot him a wink.

"Well, I'm going to be your spoiled little brat and you'll be my insufferable brute."

Once the words had flown out of her mouth, her heart began beating fast. Had she really just said that aloud? And if only she'd felt his pulse, she'd have known his heartbeat was also accelerating. 

                                                                                ***

After Ximena stormed off from the table, her father immediately called her back but she ignored him. Dolores sighed and then diverted her attention to Adriano, who looked like he would have very much preferred to be anywhere else but there.

"Adriano hijo, please go and check if she's okay," she asked sweetly.

Adriano nodded, a bit confused why she had asked him of all people, stood and then left the table. Humberto tsked, taking a sip of his coffee. "That daughter of yours is a handful. She's incapable of running a company, not with that attitude of hers," he remarked condescendingly.

Emilio's eyes sparked at the comment. "Watch your mouth Humberto. I may have made a deal with you but that does not mean you can come to my home and disrespect my family," he warned through gritted teeth.

"That's it, I'm definitely done with this," Salvador exhaled, stood up and then walked away. Nobody bothered to call him back.

Andrea continued to eat her food, along with Samara and Carlton. They just sat there and watched the arguement unfold before them.

"Admit it, you saw that your daughter couldn't possibly run your business. She's too impulsive, naive and immature. I mean, didn't she up and leave a few weeks ago?" he asked rhetorically. "You saw that my cooperation would surpass yours in a matter of months after handing the reigns to her but you couldn't entertain the thought. I applaud you, Dos Ramos. Such a smart and conniving man. You know what they say, if you can't beat them join them," he went on with a sinister grin on his face.

Emilio's hand clenched around his glass of juice. Quickly getting that the next few seconds could shift in a very bad and unexpected direction, Dolores placed her hand on Emilio's shoulder so as to placate him. He immediately calmed under her touch. She leaned over to him and whispered in his ear. "Tell them to leave." He nodded.

Before he could even dismiss them, Humberto stood up and wiped his mouth with a napkin. "As much fun as this was, I'm afraid we're going to have to leave now seeing as the two main people who we came here to talk about have already left," he extended his hand to Samara, who gladly took it and rose as well.

"This isn't over," Emilio muttered at Humberto.

Humberto smirked. "Of course it isn't, it's just getting started." With that, the party of three left the same way they'd come in. Mere seconds later, one of the guards came up to the table.

"Sir, your daughter has left the premisis with that young man," he informed formally. Emilio's jaw clenched. Just what he needed. His daughter's blatant disrespect was getting him all riled up.
All he did was hum in response then waved off the guard. He immediately took his phone out of his blazer pocket at dialed Ximena's number. She declined. He tried a couple more times, but she just rejected those too.

"Won't you leave the girl alone Emilio? She's only acting out because you've  been pressuring her. Give her some time," Dolores reasoned.

Andrea hummed in agreement. "Yeah dad. You need to take a chill pill. This is tearing our family apart," she countered.

Emilio set his phone down and then ran a hand through his face. As he had predicted, the contract was a bad idea.

A very bad idea.

______________

Hi guys...I know it's been a while but I've been super busy with school. I finally got time to write this one though 😊😊😊😊 I am proud of myself😅😂. Anyways, how is this chapter? How are you guys liking my story?

Please give me feedback guys😁

PS- excuse any typos...

~Deetronite