Chapter 12

Before he could stop it the sentence had flown out of his mouth. She looked at him with a puzzled expression, her eyebrows furrowed and lips slightly pouted. Adriano found her so intoxicating to look at and it bothered him a lot. For crying out loud she'd made him fly eleven hours just to get her. He needed to be furious with her.

But he just couldn't bring himself to do so, no matter how hard he tried.

She made her way over to him and stood about two feet away. She was close enough that Adriano could smell her feminine scent of lavender and peaches. And odd combination but she made it work.

"No," she said softly, her aquamarine eyes holding his. "You cannot just do that. After how you just left, calling me those things and now you want to have dinner? You.can't.do.that," she continued lowly, poking his chest for emphasis.

He caught her hand in his. Ximena's hand was much smaller and tender compared to his larger and calloused ones.

"Why not?" he challenged, his voice coming out husky.

She seemed to shrink back a little at his question but still managed to stand firm. "Because I don't want to be around you. You're a brute and you don't own me," she hissed, her eyes suddenly becoming hard.

His grip on her hand tightened. "Well, get used to me baby. You are going to be my wife," he added hotily, earning a scoff from him.

"I will not be bullied by you or anyone else. I am not going to be at your beck and call. This entire situation is messed up and I want no part in it."

Adriano let go of her hand and placed them in his pockets. "Do you think I want this either? Of course not," he answered harshly. "But, I will not let my father have his way. All he wants is to get the shares."

Ximena changed her stance so her hand was on her hip. "And why should I care? He can have them," she retorted flippantly.

He was taken aback by her nonchalance. How could she not care? Probably her father had worked hard to build his empire and now she was willing to let that all go in vain? Clearly he had been right about her. Just another spoiled, selfish brat.

Adriano laughed humorlessly. "Do you hear yourself? You sound like a heartless bruja," he said and she made a move to slap him but he caught her hand before she could do it, once again.

De-ja vu, he thought to himself.

"Listen bastard, I don't expect you to understand anything but you better keep those insults to a minimum before I scratch that pretty face of yours," she seethed. "And since you already came all this way let's just go already. I'm tired of talking to you," she finished off and turned away to get her stuff.

They hadn't even know each other that long but they already didn't get on well. Adriano ran a hand through his hair in frustration, making it unkempt. A second later she whizzed past him with a suitcase and a handbag then she was out the door, making sure to let it bang dramatically behind her.

Did she even know where she was going? Adriano couldn't help but laugh at her childish antics. Somehow depsite the circumstances, he was finding her very appealing.

And then he remembered Amanda.

"Dammit," he muttered lowly. He had actually forgotten all about her.

Which was a good thing since he'd not be able to see her anymore, right?

Deciding not to dwell too long on it, he too exited the suite and entered the hallway. Ximena stood at the end of it near the elevator, with her arms crossed and a frown etched on her gorgeous face.

He didn't bother to talk to her but just pushed the button that read lobby. The elevator doors opened not too long after and he allowed her to enter first, suitcase in tow. Once they doors closed and uncomfortable silence engulfed them.

"I already checked out for you and handled the remaining bills. A car is waiting for us downstairs to take us to the airport," he said trying to ease the tension but got no response.

"Are really ignoring me?"

Still she did not respond. She just huffed and kept her eyes trained on the wall beside her. Thankfully the doors opened up and they both exited. The lobby was very lively and elegant, with people rushing in and out. It was pretty obvious that the hotel was a popular one.

As they made their way towards the door, a voice made them top dead in their tracks.

"Adriano Dos Santos?" the person pronounced in a thick French accent.

Adriano looked back and came face to face with a older man with dark skin, wearing a tailored suit. He flashed him a grin and extended his hand towards him for a shake.

"Mr Alain Laurent, what a surprise," he beamed. It truly was a surprise given he wasn't expecting to bump into anyone he knew.

The older man smiled genuinely at him. "What brings you to France?" he asked amicably.

"I-uh, was here on a short trip with my fiancée," he replied shortly, his arm snaking around Ximena's waist. She was taken off guard that she stumbled a bit at his abrupt gesture.

Alain's kind brown eyes flew to her as if he'd just noticed she was there. "Oh, now that is a surprise. I didn't know you were getting married. And what might your name be?" he asked once again but now he directed it to her.

Ximena remained quiet, quite bewildered by Adriano's proximity but a pinch to the hip made start. "Ximena Dos Ramos," she choked out unceremoniously, and then extended her hand.

He took it and slowly shook it, his brown orbs scrutinising her. "Dos Ramos? Oh, as in Emilio Dos Ramos's daughter?," he inquired and she nodded. "A surprise indeed. Well, congratulations you two. This is great news. I've got to say, you're quite beautiful, ma cherie," he added chuckling lightly, causing Ximena's cheeks to rouge. For some reason, the comment kind of irked Adriano.

He cleared his throat awkwardly to the get the older man's eyes away from her. "I'm sorry Alain but we have to go. We've got wedding arrangements to settle back in the States."

"Of course. I hope I'll be invited though."

Not in your wildest dreams. "Sure," he lied and smiled tightly. Afterwards he whisked Ximena away, now having her suitcase in his hand and her body in the other. Once outside the glass door, the cool winter air kissed their skins and they both shivered involuntarily.

"Who was he?" she asked, as he continued to lead her down the street towards a black Mercedes GLE.

Adriano made a noncommital noise in the back of his throat. "Just a work associate of my father's," he replied flatly. The driver of the car gave them a brief bonsoir and was handed the suitcase to place in the boot. Adriano proceeded to the back of the car and opened the door, motioning for her to get in.

Ximena gave him a quizzical look. "What's with the mood change?"

"Just get in. The jet is waiting for us," he said tersely, avoiding her question.

To be honest, he himself didn't even know how to answer it.

_____________________

Hi guys. Here is another update for you. Please do vote, comment and share. I need more votes for me to be motivated to update...or you'll be getting updates once in a while😏😏😏🤣

~Deetronite💃🏽💃🏽💃🏽