Chapter 45

And so, the day for Omar’s family to finally meet Andrea’s family arrived. Since Thanksgiving was just around the corner, Dolores had decided that mixing the festivities with the not so cordial meeting would be best to cushion the scathing words that would undoubtedly be exchanged by the two families. Omar was the one most nervous about it all because he hadn’t told his parents about Andrea, or the fact that she was expecting his child. Having been brought up by strict parents, he was absolutely petrified to find out their reaction, even though he was turning 26 soon, their opinions still had a bearing over him.

Omar had always been the black sheep of the Pedrad family. The youngest of five, he was usually left to his own devices hence his wild behavior and lack of caring for consequences of his actions. He knew for a fact that they would be pissed, he had imagined the scenario several times over the past couple of months in his head. Adding Mr. Dos Ramos to the mix was just going to make it all the worse. At least his wouldn’t be there; that would have been the icing on top of the cake.

A big dinner hosted by the Dos Ramos family at their luxurious mansion would seem like an event anybody would want to attend, except for Ximena. She still didn’t agree with Emilio’s ultimatum and the thought of her baby sister being given off in a marriage of convenience, like she had, made her feel nauseous. By now she was well aware that nobody would dare attest to Emilio’s wishes so she had kept her mouth shut and prayed for an opportunity to somehow weasel her way out of the ordeal.

About a week from Thanksgiving, her divorce with Adriano would be finalized and they would part their ways. And she was still very much conflicted about it. It didn’t help either that when they had met up the previous week with their lawyers, he had begged her not to go through with it. It was sad to watch but since her father had been in the room, along with Humberto who looked somehow pleased with the situation, she had tried so hard to not let it show that she was on the verge of tears.

It was no longer about what she wanted, but it was about what her father had told her to do. He was a stubborn man, and this time around he wouldn’t budge even though she hadn’t voiced her thoughts to him. Chelsea had been right, she ought to have given Adriano a chance to explain himself.

But she couldn’t get Amanda’s words out of her mind.

Before you stupidly ask, Adriano and I have known each other for some time now. In fact, he was mine before he was ever yours. And judging by what we just did, hmm, he still is mine. He has tattooed himself all over my body and heaven knows he’s an expert at that. But you wouldn’t know what that’s like right? Because he’s never been with you. And you know why? Because he doesn’t love you; he loves me.

Maybe a divorce is exactly what she needed, or so she tried desperately to make herself believe…so desperately. This is the right thing to do, right? She asked herself mentally over and over again. Chelsea walked into her room a moment later, looking all dolled up from a ad she had just shot for some skin care line.

She smiled broadly at Ximena. “Guess who’s going out tonight?” she spoke, and then did a twirl miraculously in the six-inch Louis Vuitton’s she was wearing.

“You are?” Ximena asked, as she continued to go over the contract, she had been working on for an oil field that had requested to do business with them in Saudi Arabia. Since she wasn’t yet 100% okay, she had been granted permission to work from home for the time being.

Chelsea strutted over to her bed and shut her laptop, receiving a cyan glare. “Put that damn work stuff away and go look for something to wear. We are going out tonight,” she demanded impatiently, flipping her brown locks for good measure.

“You do realize that there’s a dinner downstairs that I am required to attend, right?” Ximena asked sarcastically and Chelsea scoffed.

“Yeah, I know that but papa Emilio and mama Lola said it’s fine for you to miss it. The only people that actually can’t miss it are Omar and his parents, who should be here soon. Now, I don’t know about you but I don’t not want to be here when he tells them he knocked up a teenager so get your plump butt off that couch and into your closet,” she added cheekily as she dragged Ximena off the couch and began to push her towards her walk-in.