Ring

I waited outside the building until I saw Michael leave, then went back inside.

"Ahhh, Julie. What a lovely day." I smiled and spun around, stopping to make eye contact with her.

"Oh, I know. Almost as beautiful as you." She smiled.

"Anyways. Shouldn't you be home by now? It's 4." She raised an eyebrow.

"Oh, you're right." I glanced at my watch.

I quickly grabbed my things and waved goodbye to Julie, then hopped on the bus home.

As I was riding home, I decided to call and let Jeff know I was on my way back.

"Hey (N/N) how's work?" He asked, picking up after only 1 ring.

"It was great, I'm on my way back now, we can spend some time together before I go with my mom." I smiled, leaning my head against the window.

"That sounds great, I got you something by the way." I heard his smile.

"Oh really? What is it?" I asked, chuckling.

"A surprise."

———

Once I arrived home and managed to unlock the door, I saw the lights were turned off.

"Jeff?" I called, setting my keys down on the counter.

No reply.

"Helloooo?" I slowly started walking around the apartment.

I made my way to the bedroom and opened the door, seeing Jeff laying in bed, asleep.

I rolled my eyes and walked over, then noticed a box in his hand.

Did he fall asleep waiting for me?

That's so cute.

Smiling, I took the box, watching his face as I slowly pried it out of his hands.

I carefully opened it and saw it was a necklace, it was a gold chain with a small heart charm.

I turned the charm over and saw a "J" carved into it, clearly not by a professional, which means Jeff must've done it.

I started to tear up, no ones ever really gotten me a present before.

The only time someone had gotten me something was my date to senior prom, she had gotten me some flowers.

I sat down next to Jeff and watched him, his face was so peaceful.

I'm surprised he fell asleep, he's usually always awake and alert.

He must feel safe here.

Finally, he can sleep knowing he doesn't have to constantly watch his back.

As I went to get up, a hand grabbed mine.

"Oh, you're here. I got you a- where the fuck did it go?!" He sat up, throwing the pillows to the other side of the bed.

"Jeff, I have it." I showed him the box.

"Do you like it?" He asked.

"Of course I do. I love it. Thank you." I smiled at him and took his hand in mine.

"Oh, good. I was kinda worried." He scratched the back of his head.

"No one gets me presents. So this is really sweet." I looked away from him and tried not to cry.

"Why are you sad? Here, put it on." He grabbed the box and pulled the necklace out, spinning his finger to tell me to turn around.

I moved to turn around and held my hair up.

He put the necklace on so that the "J" was showing.

"It's very cute, thank you." I thanked him again and looked down at it.

"They didn't have the one I wanted so I had to carve the 'J' in myself." He stared down at it.

"That's okay, it makes it more special." I smiled.

He looked at me and watched me for a few seconds.

"What are you looking at me like that for?" I asked.

He didn't reply, and instead tackled me onto the bed.

"What the hell are you doing?" I questioned, laughing.

"Do you wanna get married?" He blurted out, then slapped a hand over his mouth.

"Don't answer that!" He yelled.

"O-o-" He then slapped his hand over my mouth.

"I got something else, besides the necklace."

"Okay, what?"

"Nothing."

"Jeff. Tell me."

"No."

"Jeff. What did you get?"

"I said nothing!" He got off of me, sitting up and staring at me.

"Just tell me!"

"No! Cause then you're gonna think I'm fucking weird and then you'll kick me out and never talk to me again."

"Literally when did I say I would do that."

"You didn't but that's what'll happen."

"Says who."

"Says me. And don't even try saying you won't because I know you will even if you say you won't."

"Jeff. Look at me." I grabbed his face in both my hands and stared him in the eyes.

"I will not abandon you. No matter how fucking weird you are, okay?" I said it slowly.

He stared at me and gulped, then nodded and reached over to the bedside table, opening the drawer and pulling out another box, this one smaller.

"I don't know what I was thinking when I got this, but here." He handed me the box, still not facing me.

I opened it up, and saw a beautiful but small diamond ring.

"Jeff. You know you're supposed to ask me right, like down on one knee, all that?" I raised an eyebrow.

He turned around and stared at me in disbelief.

"Do you fucking like it or not?! Ungrateful ass!" He got up and chased me off the bed, making me laugh.

He caught me from behind, wrapping both arms around me and picking me up.

He threw me onto the bed and started tickling my sides.

"Say you love it!" He yelled.

"I love it! I love it! Stop!" I screamed.

"Fine." He rolled his eyes at me.

"You're an asshole." I mumbled, catching my breath.

"That better be a yes."