Keys

I fell back asleep after that, allowing myself to savor the warmth and comfort that Jeff's body gave me.

I really shouldn't be allowing this, but I just don't care anymore.

———
I woke up again a couple of hours later, feeling my heat source move.

Jeff had just sat up, sitting at the edge of the bed and staring at the wall as he stretched.

I sat up too, rubbing my eyes and grabbing at his shoulder lightly.

"Morning." He muttered, his voice groggy.

"Morning." I said quietly, yawning.

I stood up and went to the curtains, drawing them to the sides and letting light in.

It was about noon, so I figured I might as well go into work.

I called in and said I slept in a bit, and that I'd be there soon.

Jeff offered to make us breakfast while I got ready, which I of course agreed to.

I could smell it as I got dressed, making me even hungrier.

By the time I was done, I almost ran to the kitchen, plopping myself down into one of the stools at the island.

"French toast, bacon, and eggs. With your choice of coffee or orange juice." Jeff said, putting a plate down in front of me.

Butter and syrup were already set out.

"Orange juice, please. And may I say, this looks incredible. I didn't realize you were so good at cooking." I grinned at him.

"Of course I am. You should let me cook more often." He said, taking a seat next to me.

He put one of his pieces of bacon on my plate and poured me a glass of juice.

"You're being oddly attentive today, something up?" I questioned.

"Nope. I just thought I'd make you some food. I mean, if you don't want it then I guess-" I cut him off.

"Shut up, of course I want the food. I just haven't seen you be this nice towards anyone." I shoved a bite of french toast in my mouth.

"That's cause I- uh... cause I stay in your apartment rent free. Yeah." He said, stumbling on his words.

"So, about what you said last night." I glanced at him out of the corner of my eye.

"What do you mean?" He asked, sounding a bit nervous.

"You know what I mean. Oops, look at the time! I've gotta go." I pretended to check my watch and hopped off the stool, giving Jeff a peck on the cheek before running out the door.

"You forgot your keys!" Jeff yelled.

"No I didn't! Those are yours!" I yelled back, slamming the front door closed.

I hurried my way down the hall, not bothering to lock the front door behind me.

Jeff's POV:
My keys?

What does she mean by that?

Since when did I have my own set of keys to her apartment?

I picked up the set of keys and flipped through them, seeing that they were neatly labeled.

Apartment

Mailbox

Postal (sending)

Postal (receiving)

"What the hell is a postal." I muttered, scrunching my nose up.

I moved on to look at the apparently customized keychains.

One was a simple silver "J".

Another was a small knife, which most people would probably have used for opening letters or boxes.

Then there was a small plastic card, which looked like a bus pass.

"She got me my own bus pass?" I chuckled, a bit astonished.

I really can't believe her sometimes.

How can someone like that even exist?

And when did she have time to put this all together?

I've been pretty up her ass since the day I threatened her on the bus.

I mean I guess she's had a few moments to herself, but not enough to do all this.

And a key to her apartment?

She entrusted a MURDERER with a key to her home.

For fucks sake, I'm really gonna have to watch out for her if she's that trusting.

(Y/N)'s POV:
I sighed as I walked into work.

"Oh, welcome back, how nice of you to make time for us in your busy schedule." Julie said sarcastically.

"Oh shut up, you know I despise this place." I smiled, chuckling.

"I know, I know, you'd rather be out in the field. You actually came in at the right time, there's been a murder. The captain says he thinks it has something to do with your case. So you should be sent out there today." Julie glanced up at me, then back down to her nails, which she was filing down.

"Sweet. Date tonight?" I asked, gesturing towards her unusually short nails.

"You know it. Although you'll always be the only one for me." She winked.

"Have fun Jules." I smiled, walking off towards my desk.

She waved me off and continued to work on her nails.

I sighed once again and plopped down at my desk, already seeing the papers in my "To-Do" basket.

I grabbed them and shuffled through them, seeing the characteristics of Jeff's, the same ones I'd gotten so familiar with.

"(L/N)! In my office, please!" I heard my captains voice ringing in my ears.

I flinched a bit and stood up, collecting my thoughts for a brief moment before heading into his office.

"Yes, sir?" I asked, poking my head in.

"You have field work today. Grab your things and meet me out front. Squad car 18." He said, not looking up from his laptop.

"Of course, sir. Thank you." I said excitedly.

Although I may already know what it looks like, and may or may not be terrified of it, the thought of getting fresh air even for a moment excites me.

I ran to my desk and collected my necessities before heading outside to the garages.

I hadn't gotten a chance to take off my coat, so the chilly air didn't do much to me.

I giddily skipped over to my assigned squad car and grabbed the keys for it off the hook on the wall.

I knew I'd be driving, so I went ahead and made myself comfortable in the drivers seat, adjusting it along with the mirrors.

I saw my partner for this particular case walking outside to join me.

Michael, my god given pain in the ass.

He reluctantly opened the car door and slid in beside me.

"I can't believe I have to deal with you today."