One Word

I arrived at work 15 minutes later.

Luckily, I managed to catch a bus, otherwise it would've been 30 minutes.

I rushed through the doors, seeing Julie at her desk.

"Hey." I breathed.

"Thank god you're here. I really thought my head was gonna get ripped off." She shuddered.

"By sarge?" I asked.

"Duh. He's been looking for you, I told him you were dealing with a problem in the ladies room, so he left it alone for awhile, but he just came back out and yelled about how you always slack off and-" I cut her off.

"Where's he at?" I questioned.

"In his office." She replied, a worried look on her face.

"Thanks Julie, you're the best." I patted her cheek and walked to the sarges office.

I knocked lightly on his door and waited before hearing a "come in".

"Where the hell have you been?" He spat as soon as he saw my face.

"Um... well, sir, I had a uh... thing to deal with... yeah." I stuttered.

"What kind of thing?" He asked.

"The truth is sir, I think I might be pregnant." I lied.

He made a certain face and froze for a second.

"Well... uh. Ahem. Get back to work." He dismissed me.

I knew that would work.

People have no idea how to respond to it.

I've been using that excuse since the 8th grade.

I quickly made my way to my desk, sorting through my files to find "J".

"Jeff the Killer"

I quickly took the file out and laid it on my desk, flipping through the papers to find one in particular.

Last known sightings:

-702 Cedar st.
-9067 Briar st.
-651 Gregory st.

I sighed.

I had all of those locations memorized, but none of them were near my area.

In fact, they were all the way on the other side of the city.

So if he was all the way on the other side of the city, how did he find time to watch me?

It takes at least an hour to get to and from those locations, all the way to my apartment building.

There's no way he could've done that and not be seen at least once.

He's not human.

That's the only explanation.

Either that or he managed to find someone or some way to keep an eye on me while he went out.

Could he have a partner?

I spent the rest of my work day going through everything I could about Jeff.

In the last 7 months, he's killed 15 people.

Which isn't anywhere near his normal number.

I should've seen that.

How did I not notice?

I wracked my brain for answers.

Answers on how I missed such an important detail like his kill number, and how he could make it to and from my apartment complex to those locations.

Eventually, it was time for me to go home.

Which I was more than willing to do.

I hated being in that stuffy building, which is why I adored going to murder scenes.

While it was hard to witness such a thing, it was a chance to breathe.

I climbed on the bus, taking note of everyone on the bus, since last time it was such a big deal.

At the very back of the bus, I saw a very familiar face, or rather, a familiar hoodie.

I quickly rushed to the back, glaring at the figure the entire time.

Once I made my way back there, I sat down next to the person.

"Jeff, what the hell?" I whisper-yelled.

He turned to face me, excitement in his eyes.

"I'm bringing you on a kill with me." He said happily.

"What the fuck do you mean?!" My eyes widened.

"(Y/N), (Y/N), I know you're all anti-fun, but c'mon, this'll be a good experience for you. You're completely off of your meds, which means your brain is finally how it's meant to be! You're like me! I want you to at least try it." He urged.

"Jeff, this is taking another humans life, not trying a new food. You're insane, I'm not. Simple as that." I broke it down for him, trying to get him to understand.

"That's the funny part, see, you all think I'm the only crazy one. But you clearly haven't looked in the mirror long enough to see that you're just as bad as me, (Y/N)." He grabbed my hand.

"Jeff, I can't just kill someone for the hell of it." I shook my head.

"I've found a good one for you, don't worry. While I was scoping him out, I saw his computer. He's a child predator and a kidnapper, so it's fine! Actually he's just a sick pervert in general. I'll even show you what I found before we kill him." He reasoned.

I thought about it for a moment.

Could I really take a human life?

I mean, I've never shot anyone before, even out of self defense.

No matter how much I've wanted to, I've never done it.

Maybe it's not that bad?

I shouldn't, but the way his eyes lit up while he was talking about it...

He makes it seem so easy.

So fun.

So...

Tempting.

"Okay."