24| Promise Me

When he finished reading his moms diary, I threw my arms around him wrapping him in a hug. Warm tears rolled down my cheeks and wet his shirt. I held him for a while and eventually, he relaxed in my hold. Minutes later, I could feel droplets of water hitting my cheek. I looked up to see him with his eyes closed tightly and tears sliding down his cheeks.

I've never ever seen this side to him. I've only ever known him as the heartless monster but actually meeting him and seeing him, I've realized that the stories I've been told about him were complete and utter lies. It wasn't real. He might've been a dick to me at the start but I can tell he's trying even if it took him almost 5 years to realize that. I pushed him to tell me this and now I realize that I shouldn't have. I should've given him time because he told me that he's never told anyone the story behind why he killed his dad. That means I was the first person he's trusted with this. Everyone has their own demons and their own battles to fight.

"It's not your fault," I said. He believes that it's his fault. "It's not your fault," I repeated as I held him tighter.

"You can say that as much as you want but it doesn't mean I'll believe it," he croaked out. "You weren't there and-and-."

"You're right," I told him. "I wasn't there so I don't understand how you're feeling now and I don't understand how you were feeling then. But the one thing that I do know is that you were a child so how could you possibly stop something that you didn't understand? The answer is that you couldn't have." He stayed silent as he thought over my words.

"She was my mom," he said, his voice breaking. "I couldn't protect her then so what makes you think I can protect you? Who can say that I might not end up like my dad?"

"It's okay to be afraid," I told him softly. "That's what makes you human. It doesn't matter if you can protect me or not because I can protect myself. We can protect each other. Also, I know you won't end up like your dad. I just know."

He sniffed and wiped his eyes before he stood up from the couch. "I need a smoke," he mumbled before he left. I watched him leave.

He's created this uncaring persona just to bury the past. He acts like he doesn't care but really deep down he does. Every innocent life he's ever taken is probably replayed over and over again in his head. Underneath the metal armor and the walls, there's a heart. A heart that beats. A heart that shows he's human. It shows that he feels pain. He feels guilt but he buries all of his emotions so he doesn't have to deal with them but when the sun sets and the moon rises and he's alone, all those emotions are released. Whether they're released in anger, tears or writing, I have no idea.

I don't care if we don't get along or he turns back into the jerk he was at the start, I promise him and myself that I'm gonna stay and be his safety net because right now the only person he can bounce back onto is himself. Also, I'm not one to break a promise.

Slowly, I got up from the couch and stood in the doorway and stared at the door across the hallway. He's beginning the healing process and maybe the only way for me to become completely healed is to renter that room.

I walked towards the door and rested my palm against the door knob. I let out a shaky breath and pushed it open. My eyes landed on the bed I once slept on. Suddenly, I felt a presence behind me. I knew it was Grayson.

"No ones ever stepped foot in this room since you left," he told me quietly. I looked up at him confused. "I didn't want your scent to disappear." I gave him a soft smile. "If you want to move back in here, you can."

"I-I can't," I said slowly as I tried to understand why I couldn't. Why I felt sick to my stomach just being in here. I'm grateful for the different room I was given because I wouldn't be able to stay in this room.

"Promise me that you won't push me away anymore," I demanded. He stayed silent.

"I can't promise you that," he said truthfully. "I know that I will push you away one day because that's just the type of person I am."

-

"Grayson," I said loudly as I walked into the kitchen. He looked up at me from his spot on the breakfast bar. "Can I borrow a car?" He wouldn't mind me borrowing one. He has loads.

"What do you need a car for?," he asked.

"I want to see my family." He nodded his head in understanding.

"I'll take you," he offered.

"Are you sure?," I asked. He nodded his head once again. "Be ready in five."

I wandered to my room and began getting ready. Who knows, I might stay over there.

Exactly five minutes later, I rushed downstairs to see Grayson waiting by the door. He led me to a beautiful aqua blue Bugatti Chiron. I let out a wolf whistle as I eyed it up.

"Keep those eyes to yourself!," he called out with a slight chuckle as he made his way to the drivers side. I let out a huff and quickly got in.

"BUT YOU BELONG TO SOMEBODY ELSE!," I screamed in the car. Grayson winced at how loud my voice was.

"I will belong to somebody else in a damn moment if you don't shut the fuck up!," he yelled.

"You're just jealous that I can sing and you can't," I teased.

"Like fuck," he retorted.

"I sing like a canary," I shrugged, not trying to inflate my ego.

"It's 'sing like a nightingale'," he informed me.

"It's not," I told him, getting defensive. "It's canary."

"It's nightingale, baby." Butterflies erupted in my stomach when he said that. Fuck butterflies, it was a whole fucking zoo.

"Canar-," I began to say but stopped when I looked straight ahead. I let out a scream as another car collided with ours. Glass smashed and landed on us as I felt the car tip over.

The car must've flipped over and rolled numerous times because when I looked up, we were pretty far from where we was. Sitting upside down in my seat. I felt sick as all the blood rushed to my head. I touched my forehead and pulled my hand back to look at it.

Blood.

My head suddenly felt dizzy as I felt like I couldn't breathe. Sirens. The one sound I was hoping to hear, I didn't. The only form of comfort I had was my mate who was knocked out.

My eyes snapped shut as my body fell limp.
Possibly for the last time.