26| Underground

Alana's PoV
Life. It's a funny thing. You can do so many good things in life yet you'd still end up six feet underground. Same goes for doing bad things. Everyone ends up in the same place.

Six feet underground.

No matter how famous or rich you are, you still end up underground with the same gravestone as everyone else.

Death. In my life, most of the good people I know have died but the bad ones stayed. They preyed and killed. The good ones looked after others and gave money to charity yet they were taken from this earth.

Life and death are the two things on this earth that I will never truly understand. It's the one thing I don't think anyone truly understands.

I stared at my mother's grave before glancing at the one next to her and the one after that. They all look the same. What if I forget where it is?

I was relieved that the service was over. I hated seeing everyone approach me, my brother and dad to tell us what an outstanding woman she was. I know who she is- was. I lived with her for most of my life. They didn't. They don't know what she was like.

They don't know how happy she gets- used to get- when her favourite movie, Scream, was on TV. They don't know how angry she used to get at me when I'd refuse to wake up earlier than 1pm. They never burst out laughing as she danced around the kitchen like a crazy person on a high. They never saw her when she was at her happiest, saddest and her highs and lows.

Liam, my brother, kept an arm around his mate as she sobbed. His mate didn't know my mom like I did. Why the fuck is she crying? She has a mom. I don't. Liam stared at the grave not even shedding a tear. I glanced at my dad who was sat on the ground with tears rolling down his cheeks. Grayson stood beside me. I leaned against his shoulder feeling drained.

We turned and walked towards the car. Everyone else followed behind. Liams mate, Amber, was a new addition to the family who I was yet to meet. They met each other four years after I disappeared to the Red Moon pack. They've only known each other for a year since I was there for five.

Soon we pulled up outside my childhood home. The wake was happening at the pack house. Clearly none of us were ready to go there. We slowly got out of the car and walked inside. It still smelt of her. Homemade cookies and chocolate. She smelt of those because she was always making cookies. There wasn't a day that went by when she wasn't making them.

I wasn't ready to walk through the rest of the house and see her things everywhere. I walked upstairs and almost ran to my old bedroom when I walked past my parents room.

I heard Grayson follow behind. It was sweet that he was so concerned but I knew he was only following me in case I hurt myself. We all know that I've done some pretty dangerous things when I've been hurt emotionally.

I sat on my bed. The same bed that I haven't slept in for five years. The same sheets that my moms been washing and changing for those years. I spotted a picture of the two of us on my nightstand. I slowly reached out and picked it up.

"I almost forgot what she looked like," I said quietly as I stared at the photo. Her arms were wrapped around me as we sat in the backyard. "I remember this day," I told Grayson. He sat beside me and stared at the photo. "It was my 16th birthday. Dad was struggling to make the food on the barbecue so he was asking her for help. She kept on telling him that this day won't repeat itself so she's got to make it special. She never helped him and he ended up burning everything. We bought pizza instead."

He stayed silent. "There was two parties that were going on. Liam had his guys over and I had my friends over for a slumber party. The boys had to go have their sleepover at the pack house and we got the house."