exit stage left

EARLY MORNING SETTLED and Karolina couldn't sleep. Pope had taken over driving and found a spot under the carport of an old uninhabited house, parking them there for the night. They all leaned back their seats so they could rest.

Pope and Kie were in the front seats, while Karolina sat next to JJ with John B in the back. She stared at the horizon as the first bits of sun were starting to show. Many hours of not being able to sleep ago, Karolina sat up and gave up, gently shifting JJ's head from her shoulder to her lap.

JJ mumbled in his sleep, which snapped her from her thoughts. She smiled down at him, running gentle fingers through his hair, and her heart swelled. He looked so peaceful for once.

Next to her, John B startled awake, sucking in a quick breath as he sat up straight, eyes wide. Karolina glanced at him, stopping her hand. "You good?"

John B shook the hair from his face and nodded, closing his eyes. "Yeah, just... bad dream."

"I get it." Karolina pressed her lips together. "About being a fugitive, or Rafe killing Peterkin?"

John B looked at her. "About my dad, actually..." He sighed, looking out the window. "If he were here, he'd know what to do."

"If he were here, we'd be on the coast of our private island in the Caribbean," muttered Karolina, with an apologetic smile in his direction. "I'm sorry about your dad, JB."

The boy sighed, looking at her again, before his eyes shifted to his best friend's head in her lap, and her hand in his hair. He blinked at her. "When did that happen?"

Karolina was grateful for the dark so that John B couldn't see her blush. "Uh, the other night... Don't ask me how, though. It just kind of happened." She found herself smiling at JJ's sleeping face.

John B scoffed. "Finally. He's been pining after you since he met you."

"What?" Karolina blinked at him, before she shook her head strongly. "No, believe me, John B, he hated me for the longest. I don't know what changed, but..."

"Nothing changed, Lina. Maybe your feelings did, but for JJ, its always been you." His words caught her off guard, and she felt the heat from her cheeks intensify. John B realized his somewhat dignified tone and added, "Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you guys stopped fighting and are choosing to utilize that energy, uh... elsewhere." His finger tapped the purple spot on JJ's neck.

Karolina snorted. "Oh, by the way, don't sleep in your bed for a while."

John B frowned, confused, and stared at her before realization hit. "What- Oh. Oh- ew! My bed-? You guys are disgusting!"

Karolina just shrugged. "I'm sorry it was just right there and-"

"No, stop, stop, I don't need details!"

"Oh, shut it, you fugitive," laughed Karolina, shoving his arm. John B finally cracked a smile, and that was what she was headed for.

A comfortable silence blanketed them, like the soft orange of the sky as the sun came up. "You'll take care of him, right?" John B asked.

Karolina met his gaze again. "Have been for the past 8 years, right?" She smiled.

"Yeah, I know, I mean... when I'm gone." A lump tightened in Karolina's throat. "I can't remember a time without JJ, and... and I just want to tie up as many loose ends as I can before I leave."

"JB-"

"I might have to go, Lina," said John B, seemingly already able to tell what she was going to say.