one night

IT TOOK A THIRTY MINUTE OF GROUP CRY SESSION AND A FUNNY MOVIE TO CALM JJ DOWN

IT TOOK A THIRTY MINUTE OF GROUP CRY SESSION AND A FUNNY MOVIE TO CALM JJ DOWN. Pope and Kie decided to go to their homes for the night, but Karolina didn't want to leave JJ alone, so she agreed to stay. JJ's stuff was already in there, because apparently he'd been staying there since Midsummers, so Karolina figured she'd just let him have the John B's room and she'd take the sleeper sofa. But her jeans were still heavy with hot tub water, so she needed to grab the spare change of clothes she kept in the dresser.

JJ was tugging on a t-shirt when she poked her head in, the bruises on his back rippling with the movement. "Hey, sorry," Karolina announced, blinking rapidly when a hot blush crossed her cheeks, "I just... I needed some clothes, from the dresser." JJ nodded quietly, understanding, and sat on the bed, watching as she moved to grab her clothes. "Thank you," he said, catching her off guard. Karolina raised an eyebrow, and he cleared his throat. "For, uh... staying."

Offering a tight lipped smile, she nodded. "No problem." A tense silence fell over them and Karolina shut the dresser drawer with a loud snap, pressing her lips into a thin line. The air was thick and so terribly awkward as she turned to nod at him again. "Uh... night?" It came out as a question, though she hadn't intended it. "Night," JJ replied, his eyes following her as she walked to the door. Karolina shook her head, a nagging feeling prickling at her brain. She had begun her search for him with the full intent of telling him how she felt, but now that she had the chance, Karolina was about to chicken out. Her hand was on the doorknob, but she stopped in the doorway. "Um... JJ?"

The boy glanced up from his hands. "I know this might not be the best time," she started, turning to face his watchful gaze, "But..." Her throat tightened, heart pounding. "The other night, we..." His eyes flashed with realization, but he didn't give her the solace of finishing her sentence. "We kissed," Karolina finally mustered out, her voice clipped. The big t-shirt she had balled in her hand was starting to wrinkle. "And, I guess I just... wanted to know how you felt? A-about that."

JJ scratched the back of his neck, gaze flicking to the floor. "Uh... yeah." His eyebrows lifted, but he didn't continue.

Karolina blinked, her face paling. She felt ridiculous. "That's... it?" JJ sighed, standing to rub his forehead with both hands. Embarrassment flamed up her sides, and she felt her palms get even sweatier.

"I don't know what you want me to say, Lina," JJ muttered, letting his hands drop from his face. Karolina felt tears starting to brim her lash-line. "Did it... Did it mean anything to you?"

JJ raised his eyebrows again: "Did it to you?"

Taking a deep breath and setting her jaw firmly, Karolina nodded. "Yeah. It did," she said, her voice holding even. JJ kept his eyes trained on the bed, running a hand through his hair. He didn't answer, and her heart sank. Of course, of course he wouldn't feel the same way. He was JJ. Laid back, weed smoking, rule breaking, different girl every night JJ. Karolina was a hopeless romantic; she set herself up for failure by expecting him to get down on one knee the moment she professed her feelings. She was everything he hated. Why would he ever want a girl like her?