a friend

"THESE KOOKS MAKE OUR KOOKS LOOK LIKE POGUES."

Karolina almost laughed at JJ's sentiment, the idea of the Kook-Pogues mentality transcending the Outer Banks being somewhat comical. She understood what he meant by that statement as they pulled up to the Limbrey estate, a large, three story, white, old building with a black iron gate surrounding it, spikes on top. "You sure this is the place, Pope?"

The other boy nodded. "Pretty sure."

JJ sighed, opening the door, as Pope did the same, and they all filed out. "Fat City for sure," mumbled JJ. Pope held up the invitation, reading, "Twenty-seven King Street."

Karolina nodded her head to the house number. "This is it."

Kie and JJ were already at the gate when she and Pope approached. "Talk about home security... Are those spikes to keep people out?"

Kiara shook her head gently. "No..."

"The slave quarters are over there," Pope said, pointing to a building away from the house. He sighed. "These spikes were to keep people in."

"Fun place," mumbled Karolina, as she opened the gate and walked through. They made their way up the steps to what they assumed was the front door, even thought there were many doors. This one was the only one with a knocker on it, which Pope used to hit the door. JJ laughed a bit, and Pope looked at him. "You think that was too much?"

"It echoed the entire house, that's for sure... So they definitely heard it."

Pope reached to knock again, as Kie said, "Maybe no one's home-"

Just then, the door swung open, and a menacing man with crazy eyes stood watching them in the doorway. He glanced between them all, before smirking and pointing at the boy in the middle. "You must be Pope."

"Um..." Pope glanced at JJ. "Are you Mr. Limbrey?"

"Ms. Limbrey was expecting you yesterday," corrected the man, with a slight edge to his voice.

"Oh, I'm... I'm sorry, my car broke down on the way up here," Pope explained, and JJ added, "Carburetor blew up in the middle of Nowheresville. Sorry about that."

The man studied him with a strange look in his eyes that made Karolina want to step between them, but just as quickly his gaze returned to Pope. "Yeah, she was real upset when you didn't show up."

"We tried to call, but there was no number on the invitation," said Kiara, showing him the letter. "We got here as fast as we could."

"She also expected you to come alone."

Pope looked panicked, but quickly explained, "I mean, these are my friends. They helped find the Royal Merchant too, I-"

"The instructions were explicit." The man sighed. "Your friends can stay outside. Except..." He paused, gaze shifting to Karolina. He pointed. "You. You come in, the others stay."

Confusion surely laced Karolina's features, and she glanced at JJ, who's brows were furrowed in concern as to why she was chosen. "We're kind of a package deal, man-" He tried to say, his protectiveness showing.

"JJ, its okay. We've got this," Pope said, nodding to them both. Karolina shared a look with JJ, and she nodded too. "Keep the car running," Pope added, in a low voice. Kie tried to plaster on an encouraging smile. "Yep." She squeezed his hand, and Karolina followed Pope into the house.

The man closed the door behind them, and it echoed all around the big entryway they stood in. "Follow me," he said, leading them deeper inside, all the way to what Karolina could only characterize as some sort of parlor. A harpsichord stood in one corner, amongst many shelves of books, and many old chairs. It seemed like they'd stepped right into an actual mansion from the 1800's.