dumpster diving

"THAT BREAD HAD MOLD ON IT THREE DAYS AGO," Karolina heard Pope say to JJ

"THAT BREAD HAD MOLD ON IT THREE DAYS AGO," Karolina heard Pope say to JJ. The blonde boy shrugged, continuing to spread peanut butter onto one side. "I'll just pull off the bad parts. Plus, mold is good for you. It's just a natural organism."

In the cemetery, Kiara had found an envelope addressed to Bird- which was Big John's nickname for his son. The crew almost got caught again by who they thought to be the "square groupers" but managed to get away in time. Now, Karolina stood across from John B at his kitchen table, waiting on JJ so that they could open the envelope. "JJ," Kie called, and the boy came into the room, green sandwich in hand. "Yup, yup, yup! Let's do it."

As John B tore open the package, JJ took a bite and immediately spit it out into his hand. Karolina scrunched her nose before she grabbed the sandwich and tossed it like a frisbee out the opened window. "Hey, I was gonna eat that-"

"Shh!" Kiara said, glaring. John B spread out the folded piece of paper to reveal a map of the coastline, with a big X and some coordinates scribbled in black marker. "X marks the spot," mused Pope, pointing to the x. "The spot to what, though?" Karolina asked, glancing up at the silent John B. "Longitude... latitude..." he murmured, "Wait, there's something else in here..." His hand scrambled around in the envelope before he produced a small tape recorder.

"What's that?" JJ questioned, frowning down at the object in his hand. "It's a tape recorder," Kie snapped, indicating for him to be quiet as John B pressed the play button.

"Dear Bird..." A voice said. John B's father said. Karolina shared a look with JJ, as the tape continued to play. "I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so. And you doubted your old man. I suspect, at this moment, you're filled with guilt and self-loathing over our last fight, but don't kill yourself just yet, kid. I didn't expect to find the merchant either."

A frown etched its way onto her face. The Royal Merchant? Had John B's dad actually found it? "You were probably right to call me out. Wasn't exactly father of the decade... What can I say, kid? I could smell the barn. And hopefully, we're listening to this in our brand new sugar-shack down in Costa Rica, livin' off passive investments and pulling on permits. If not, and you find this for less than optimal reasons, well... That's what the map is for. There she is- The Wreck of the Merchant."

Karolina leaned away from the table, her heart thudding in her chest. 500 million dollars in gold. And Big John had found it. "If something happens to me, finish what I started. Go for the gold, kid. I love you, Bird, even if I didn't always act like it..." The tape was silent for a moment. "I'll see you on the other side."

It cut off and John B stood abruptly, moving to the porch without a single word. None of them spoke, at first, unsure of what to say. Of course, it was JJ who said something, and of course it lacked the sympathy John B needed. "Holy... He found the merchant! Big John he-" Karolina grabbed his arm, pleading, "Hey, stop- stop." They glanced to where Kiara had made her way over to John, whose shoulders shook with quiet sobs. She hugged his shoulder as he cried, and Karolina looked at JJ and Pope with sad eyes.