Chapter: 4

I am in so much trouble.

No one found me until it was already past seven.

Mom was waiting at home with Jonathan and the girls.

Adam waiting with them.

And finally, my mom decided to call me. She was yelling at me asking where I was, what I was doing. All that stuff.

Then she just hangs up on me.

So I kept taking turns. Trying to find at least one familiar object.

But, no.

Not a thing.

Am I even in the same state?

It would be so horrible if I suddenly ended up in Georgia or something.

I shudder at the thought.

Then I see a car coming towards me.

Stopping right beside me.

The window on the passenger's side of car goes down.

"Get in," says a male's voice. Deep and intimidating.

Then, after a while of staring, I realize it's Adam. The babysitter.

Who hates me.

"Get in," he repeats, more impatiently.

I shake my head. "I'm fine."

His eyes narrow. "Do you know how long it took for me to find you? You're a two whole towns away from where you're supposed to be at. Your mother is furious and Kaitlin will not stop crying. So, if you want to get back, I suggest you let me drive you there."

After a few minutes, I finally get in the car.

He glares at me for a while before turning to face the road. "Listen," he says. "These girls mean everything to your mom. So, if you could just not ruin everything."

I look at him in surprise. "What?"

"They don't need some spoiled city slick ruining things right now," he snaps.

City slick?

Did he seriously just call me that?

Before my eyes start to water again, I blink at him once then turn towards the window. "I'm sorry," I mutter angrily.

When we finally get to the house, I didn't even wait for him to stop the car.

I jumped out and went inside.

Mom and Jonathan were in the kitchen washing dishes.

She stops me right before I go up the stairs. "Where did you go? I told you by five."

"Got lost," I mutter. "I don't really know my way around here."

Her face clouds over. "Emily, you should've called."

I sigh. "You never gave me your number. It's in my other phone. And you obviously don't want me here."

"You need to stop," she tells me, starting to get louder.

Fresh, hot tears roll down my cheeks.

I've cried so much in the past few days.

"I hate it here," I yell at her. "I hate you. You made my life miserable. And if you think that for one second I'd actually want to hang out with you, then that's your mistake. First chance I get, I'm out of here."

Jonathan walks into the hallway and places a soft hand on her lower waist. "Em, you should go to your room," he says quietly. "We'll be up there in a few minutes."