Chapter: 13

The next few weeks have been amazing. Adam finally graduated from high school. He invited me to go to his prom with him but I just told him I didn't really want to. He didn't go without me. We spent the rest of the day at the beach.

The next morning, Adam told his mom about getting accepted to a college in Texas. And that he wanted to go. She had cried but did not argue with him.

At least he had the courage to tell her what he wanted. Instead of running away.

But he's been so sweet to me. I know I should stay away. But I honestly can't. I'm actually starting to like him. In fact, I think I love him.

Mom tells me, firm but kind, not to do anything I'll regret later. I tell her we're fine. Aside from me staying over at his house every once in a while, nothing happens. We stay on the couch with his little brother all night long watching movies.

Nothing too bad. Just like any sleepover I've ever been too.

But it's getting a little scary for me. As much as I don't want to feel anything for him, it keeps changing. My feelings keep on growing. And I can't help but think I'm getting obsessed with him. I like him too much. And although that should be a good thing, I know it's gonna hurt me later.

I was driving the girls to the beach when I phone rings.

"Kaitlin, can you please answer that for me?" I ask her.

She nods. "Hello?" she says sweetly.

"She driving right now. I can tell her to call you back when she's done."

"But she's driving," she says sadly.

I hold out my hand. "Give me the phone," I tell her.

She hands it to me, a frown on her face.

"Hey," I say into the phone.

"Since when do you drive?"

My father's harsh voice make me slam on the brakes. Kaitlin and Brooke scream.

After composing myself, I park somewhere near a store.

"I was just taking the girls to the beach," I say quietly.

He laughs bitterly. "Of course you were. You're changing, Emily. Since when do you care about children?"

I get out of the car and run a hand through my hair. "Is there a reason why you called?"

"Yes," he says quickly. "I realized your birthday was about a month ago. So, to make up for it, I bought you an apartment."

I feel a lump in my throat. "Why would you..."

He cuts me off. "You are eighteen years old now," he says, being oblivious to the fact that I'm going to be all alone in an apartment. "It's time you start growing up."

I start crying. "You're kicking me out?" I ask incredulously. "Did I bother you before?"

"It's not about you bothering me," he says simply. "You have to learn to take care of yourself. When you arrive to New York, all of your stuff will already be at the apartment. You just stop by the postal office and they will hand you the key."

Which just makes me cry harder.

He waits a moment before saying, "I know you are going to love it. And as much as I would love to talk to you some more, I have work I need to do. Have a wonderful summer. I love you very much."

Then he hangs up.

I drop my phone on the floor and cry into my hands. So hard I almost end up falling over.

"Emily," a voice says softly.

Looking up, I see Conner and Claire standing there. After a few moments, I realize I parked in a movie theater parking lot.

Wiping my face, I force a smile. "Hi. It's tears of joy," I say flatly.

He smiles kindly. "You can tell me."

I shake my head. "I don't want to ruin anything. We were about to leave anyways."

Claire looks from me to the girls inside the car, who were eyeing me suspiciously. "Where are you headed?"

"The beach," I say, wiping my face one more time. "I promised I would take them. And it's really pretty outside. So I thought I'd take them today."

Conner keeps looking at me. "Then why are crying?"

I feel my throat tighten again and my eyes blur a little. "It's nothing," I say anyways. "It was great seeing you," I say, trying to sound happy for them. Instead, it sounds flat. "I'll see you around."

Conner nods after a while. "I'll call you later."

"You don't have to." My voice breaks.

I am clearly struggling to sound perfectly fine. Claire keeps looking at me. Her eyes narrowing every time I tell them there's nothing wrong.

After a while, they finally decide to keep going. Looking back every five seconds.

I know they don't believe me. I wouldn't believe me either. I'm a mess. As I get in the car, I start crying again.

Kaitlin waits a moment. "Are you okay?" she asks me.

"What's wrong?" Brooke asks sadly.

"Nothing's wrong," I say firmly. "I'm fine."

"Are we still going to the beach?"

I nod. "Yeah."

As I drive to the beach, my phone keeps ringing. But I don't bother to answer it.

When we arrive to the beach, I see Adam called me twice and left messages. Mom called me, too.

I follow the girls in the water, pretending to be happy just for them. It's the least I can do.

But I can't but think about that apartment my dad got for me. I knew he didn't want me around. It was obvious. But to go ahead and buy me a place to live? Where I'll be all by myself everyday?

Just thinking about it makes me want to cry again.

I blink back the tears.

Not now, I tell myself. Wait until you're alone.

HEY!! THIS ONE IS A LITTLE SHORTER. BUT WHAT DO YOU THINK SO FAR?

ITS KIND OF SAD. I ALMOST CRIED WRITING THIS CHAPTER!!

ANYWAYS, I HOPE YOU LIKE IT.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING!!!

FEEL FREE TO COMMENT ON WHATEVER. YOU CAN POINT OUT WHATEVER MISTAKE I MADE.

I KNOW I SHOULD PROOFREAD BUT ITS SO BORING!!! :)