Chapter: 20

When I saw my dad in the kitchen the next day, I was so mad.

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

He doesn't look at me. "I was hoping we could talk."

Furiously, I shake my head. "There is no way I'm doing this again. Why aren't you at work?"

He crosses his arms in front of him. "I got a day off. I want to spend it with you."

I really don't believe that. "I have to go to the store," I tell him. "I'll probably be back in an hour or so."

He stands up. "Emily, I really need to speak with you."

I grab my keys and a light jacket. "I really need to go to the store," I reply cooly.

Adam walks out his bedroom, the one beside mine. "Oh. Hey, Mr. Jones. I didn't think you'd be here today."

Dad shrugs. "I took a day off." He waits a moment before slowly adding, "I wanted to spend the day with my daughter."

Adam shoots me a sad look but I shake my head at him.

He rolls his eyes. "Can we talk?"

I follow him into the bedroom. He shuts the door behind him and turns to face him.

We look at each thee for a long moment. Not bothering to yell or even argue. His eyes said it all.

He thinks I'm being irrational. I've waited so long for my father to recognize my need for him and now that the day has finally come, I won't let him explain. I just... don't want anything to do with the man who, not even a week ago, wished I was never born. He can't change that. A day of apologizing can't change the damage he's caused for eighteen years. Almost nineteen. I can't be forced to do this. And if anyone understands, it'll be Adam. Who's dad left him when he was little.

Adam walks towards me and wraps his arms around my waist. I rest my head in the crook of his neck. "You understand, don't you?" I ask quietly.

His chin was gently rested on my head. Nodding, he pulls away to look at me. "I do. I understand how hard this must be. And whether or not you give your dad a chance is up to you. But you have realize that this is what you've been waiting for. He's outside this door wanting you to see that he was wrong. He wants to make up for all those years of ignorance and betrayal."

My eyes were starting to mist over and I pressed my head against Adam's chest, needing the warmth and reassurance that came along with his embrace.

We walk out of the bedroom after a few minutes.

Dad was on the phone when we made it back. By the looks of it, he was having a very heated conversation with whoever was on the other side.

Adam gently squeezes my arm before walking into the kitchen.
• • •
"What do you want to eat?" Adam asks me.

I open my eyes. "I'm not hungry. I already told you."

He sighs. "Em, you're sick. And although you don't feel hungry, you have to eat something."

When I don't say anything, he rolls his eyes. "Do you want a smoothie?"

Smiling, I nod. "Yes, please."

He leaves the bedroom.

I wasn't supposed to get sick. This is our two year anniversary. We were supposed to stand at the top of the Empire State Building and stare off into all of New York. But instead, I'm sick with the flu and Adam is stuck taking care of me. Not that I mind. I'm definitely not complaining. But this is kind of boring.

Adam comes back with my smoothie and a straw. "Here you go," he says.

I smile gratefully at him. "Thanks, Adam."

He pulls me in. "Don't mention it."

He watches me as I slowly drink my smoothie. "You know I love you," he tells me.

I nod, taking one more sip before turning to face him.

"Well," he says softly. "It's been two wonderful years with you. But I don't think I can stay in this apartment."

I look at him. "What?" I demand.

"Calm down," he says, holding up his hands. "I'm not finished."

"Okay," I say slowly.

Adam sighs. "I'm going to need you to stand up, Emily. I can't do this while we're both sitting."

He helps me stand up. "I was going to do this at the top of the Empire State Building and make it more memorable. But I honestly can't wait."

I set down my smoothie. "What are you talking about?" I ask quietly.

Adam looks me dead in the eyes before bending down on one knee. "Emily, I have loved you for a while now. And I am going to continue to love you. But I feel we should move up another step." Adam holds out a small box. A ring box.

I gasp and pull my hand up to my mouth. Tears already brimming in my eyes. "Adam..."

He smiles at me. "Emily, will you please marry me?"

A small tear falls down my cheek as I nod. "Yes. Yes. A million times yes," I sob into his neck.

He laughs quietly, putting the ring on my finger.

HEY!!!! I KNOW I MADE YOU GUYS WAIT A WHILE. BUT I HOPE IT WAS WORTH IT.

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR READING!!! IT MEANS SO MUCH. EVEN IF I AM NOT THE BEST WRITER IN THE WORLD. AT LEAST YOU GAVE IT A CHANCE.

I WILL PROBABLY MAKE ONE LAST CHAPTER BEFORE FINALLY FINISHING THE BOOK.

AGAIN, I REALLY HOPE YOU LIKED IT.

FEEL FREE TO COMMENT. HAVE A VERY FANTASTIC DAY!!!