Chapter: 17

Conner stayed with me and Josie the next couple days. He's the one who went with me when I dropped out of modeling school. He went with me to my dad's house and gave him a birthday present (though we left minutes afterwards). He also held me as I cried over Adam and everyone else.

Now, we were making breakfast and just talking.

"What are you going to do about Claire?" I ask him.

He shrugs. "I'm not sure. I mean, I wouldn't be as worried if she weren't with Adam. They dated for over a year. She just won't call me."

I nod but don't say anything.

"Do you still like Adam?"

I stare at the eggs for a while before nodding again. "I shouldn't, should I?"

He looks at me for a while. "Emily, I know this could be hard for you to believe. But he liked you too. Very much. And leaving you was just as hard on him as it was on you."

Josie chooses that time to walk in. "Hey," she says, smiling at me. "You are smiling. I haven't seen you this happy in almost three months."

I roll my eyes. "I was fine, Jo."

She shakes her heads. "You honestly weren't. But you are now."

Just then, there is a knock on the door. Conner and Josie share a look before they go to get the door.

"Watch the eggs," Conner says.

Once again, they are talking in hushed voices with whoever is at the door.

"Hey, Adam," someone yells from outside. "Where do I park?"

I freeze.

Adam.

Josie groans from the doorway.

He's here. How can he be here? He was in college.

Was? Not anymore?

"Let me in. It's freezing."

About a minute later, I know they're all in the kitchen watching me. I don't know whether to turn around and hug him, or just keep stirring the eggs.

I choose to stir the eggs.

Then a hand goes around my waist. "I missed you," he says in a low voice.

Pulling myself away, I turn to look at him. Like always, he looks great. His messed up, wavy hair was even more of a mess now but still managed to look good.

"It's been a while," he whispers.

I cross my arms over my chest and look down. "I thought you didn't have any money."

As if we weren't close enough, he takes another step towards me. "I drove all the way up here with Claire. It's about a day's drive. Not too long." Then he adds, "I drove all the way up here just to see you."

He starts to lean in but I place a hand on his chest, sending shivers down my spine. "You can't just show up and expect me to just let you kiss me. You let me go."

A hurt look spreads across his face. "I love you," he whispers.

I look at him, eyes widened. "You what?"

"I love you," he says louder. "I heard you tell me that day we broke up. But I didn't say it back. I didn't know how to. Now I do. Now I know I need you more than you ever needed me."

I don't say anything.

"Can we go for a walk?" he asks after a while.

"Yeah," I say after a while.