Chapter: 12

Oliver and I sat in a bench for at least two hours.

He was trying to tell me what was wrong but would not stop crying. I sat him on my lap and wrapped my arms around him until he felt calm enough to speak.

"I miss my daddy," he says. "Daddy was nice to me everyday. Just like you, Emily."

I smile at him. "Is your mom not nice to you?"

He nods. "But she is sometimes. Not everyday. And I want to see my daddy again."

He starts crying again. "I want to go back to New Jersey with my daddy."

I pull him into a hug. "Oh, Oliver. It is going to be okay. Your mom is just busy with work. But she loves you so much."

He wipes his eyes. "Really?"

I nod. "Of course. I think if you tell her what's wrong, she'll talk with you about it."

"Will she tell me she loves me?" he asks quietly.

"You need to let her know how you feel, Oliver," I say softly.

He presses his small head against my chest. "Can you come tell her with me?"

"Yeah," I promise him. "Do you want to go now?"

"I want ice cream first."

We stand up after a moment and find an ice cream store about a block from the park.

Conner was behind the counter. He smiles when he sees me. "Hey, Em. I didn't think you knew how to find me."

I laugh. "We just wanted some ice cream, Conner."

He nods. "Would you like sprinkles?"

"Yes, please," Oliver chirps from behind me.

Oliver and I pick a table. "I haven't had ice cream in a very long time."

I smile.

Conner comes to the table with out chocolate fudge ice cream. "It's on the house."

"You don't have to..." I trail off when he holds up his hand.

"Just take it," he says simply.

"Thanks."

Oliver eats his ice cream as if it's the last time he'll ever eat it. He's getting so messy.

I laugh when he gets finished. "I think we have to clean you up," I say, handing him a napkin.

He wipes his face. "This is the best ice cream ever."

"Go to the bathroom," I tell him.

He nods. "Okay."

Conner walks over to our table and sits beside me. "So, how are you and Adam doing?"

I force a smile. "We actually got back together today. We broke up on Thursday after some fight and he came over today."

He nods. "That sounds like fun," he says flatly.

"What about Claire?"

He sighs and shakes his head. "We are still together. And Adam knows now."

"You told him?"

"Yes," he says, nodding. "I felt like I had to. You know?"

I nod. "I do."

He runs a hand through his hair before sighing again. "Claire is definitely something. I know she's only dating me to get back at Adam. But, I have actual feelings for her. I mean, she's rude and wants everything to be about her all the time. I just really like her."