Adam

I didn't want to be a doctor anymore. But I did want to be a nurse or something. So Emily and I applied at college not even a mile from her apartment. Within a week, we were both accepted.

I know I love her now. And I tell her everyday now. But she's still holding back a little. I mean, I understand. I would probably hold back a little too.

She acts as if I'm going to leave her again. I'm not. But every time we do something, she tries really hard.

We are on our way to Florida for Thanksgiving break. She's been quiet most of the time. But she's not sad. Just tired, I guess.

"Do I go left?" I ask, trying to get her to talk.

She looks at the GPS in her hand and nods. "Next exit."

After a moment, "Are you okay?"

She looks at me and smiles convincingly. "I'm fine."

Her dad called the other day. He just wanted to let her know he took some money off her bank account to pay part of the apartment. She, of course, had tried to get him to talk to her. But he ended up yelling at her over the phone. I took it out of her hand and hung up.

Her eyes had widened. "Why would you do that? He's going to hate me for ever."

"Every time he calls its the same thing. He's not calling to make you feel good. Just don't answer him anymore."

She hadn't cried like I thought she would. She pursed her lips and nodded then left the room.

Now, it's been a few days since he called. Unless he called her while I wasn't around.

I don't think anything's wrong. But I don't think she's fine either. She tends to depress herself.

After a while, I stop at a diner. "We should eat something."

She nods. "Sounds good."

I take her hand and we walk in. A short woman about somewhere in her forty's meets us at the door with a huge smile on her face. "Hello, just two for today."

I nod. "Yes, please."

She leads us to a booth near the window. "A waiter will be out in a few minutes."

"Thanks."

Emily sits in front of me. Her phone was vibrating in her pocket. As she looks at it, I see her face clouds over.

I put a hand over her phone and gently set it down on the table.

She looks at me for a while. "Why are you around me?"

I know she's been thinking about that for a while.

"Where is this coming from?" I ask her softly.

She shrugs and looks down at her lap. "Your friends," she says. "They keep sending stuff. They comment on the pictures you post."

Before I could say anything, the waiter shows up. A tall man with blonde hair and nice complexion smiles at us.

"I am your waiter for today. May I interest you in some fresh made coconut juice?"

I notice he keeps looking at Emily. She is beautiful. Everyone else can see that but her.

"What's your name?" he asks her.

She looks up from her phone. "Emily."

He hands her the menu. "It's a pretty name. That's my sister's name."

"Cool," she says lightly.

"He's flirting," I say once he leaves us.

She shrugs. "He's not as cute as you."

I laugh. "That helps."

It at least made her smile.

"Listen," I say softly. "I know you think you're some sort of curse set upon this world to destroy the human race, but you're not."

She laughs quietly, her lower lip starting to tremble.

"These girls can get over it. It's not like I'm ever going to see them again. I'm with you. And if anyone has a problem with that then they are going to have to suck it up because you're the best thing that's ever happened to me. But it's not enough if you don't believe that, Emily. If you let yourself think that way then nothing will ever turn out right."

The waiter comes back with our food. "All right. Miss Emily, here's your pasta. And your double cheeseburger with extra cheese and french fries. Am I missing something?"

We shake our heads.

Emily's legs intertwine with mine under the table. "You know, you make me feel good about myself."

I smile at her. "Yes, I know."

HEY!!! I MADE THIS IN ADAM'S POINT OF VIEW BECAUSE IT SOUNDS SO MUCH SWEETER AND NOT AS DRAMATIC AS IT WOULD IF IT WERE IN EMILY'S POINT VIEW.

BUT I HOPE YOU STILL LIKE IT. THANKS FOR READING!!!!