Chapter: 8

The beach was beautiful. Claire waited in the car for a few minutes before she decided she didn't want to stay alone in the car.

Now, she and Adam are holding hands walking through the sand. They were talking in hushed voices.

I was trailing behind. Texting Josie.

She was telling me how Katrina's mom made her switch schools. How it was the best day of her life.

Then getting expelled was a complete waist of time.

I was too busy texting Josie back, I didn't hear Claire ask me a question.

"Emily," she yells.

I look up. "Sorry, what?"

Her eyes narrow at me. "I asked you if you were dating anyone."

"Oh," I say, blushing a little. "No. I don't have time to date."

"You've never had a boyfriend?"

I shake my head. "Not really. I don't think my last one counts."

"Why not?" she asks, as I get another text.

"Um," I say distractedly. "He was too clingy."

She laughs. "Seriously? I think it's cute when guys get clingy," she says, meeting Adam's eyes.

I shrug. "I just don't think of guys as anything other than friends," I say, sending another text message. "They are all mostly self-centered and don't really care about you unless they want something."

When I look up, they were both looking at me.

Adam had a sad look in his eyes and Claire was eyeing me closely.

"That's the same with some girls," Adam says.

I laugh quietly. "I'd rather not go there."

He looks at me for a while. A smile on his face.

Claire looks back and forth between us before she starts walking again.

"I want to leave, Adam," she whines. "The wind messed up my hair. And my feet are getting all sandy."

He looks at me. "Where do you want to go?"

I look at the ocean. "I think I like it here. You guys can go ahead if you want, though."

Adam looks at me uncertainly but Claire was already pulling him away before he could protest.

After a few seconds, I sit down on the sand.

This is all so beautiful.

The sun isn't entirely all the way up yet, so the sky is a mix of orange, yellow, and pink. The water isn't cold at all. It's just the perfect temperature for me to go in.

But I know I can't.

Mom's bringing me back here for some party thing she and Jonathan are planning. But I don't really see why. I don't know anyone here. And nobody here-with the exception of Claire, Adam, and Conner-knows who I am.

Why throw a party for me?

My phone starts ringing. Honestly, I was surprised that it was even ringing at all. And even more surprised to see that it's my dad.

"Hello?" I say incredulously.

"Emily," he says excitedly. "How's my little girl doing?"

"I'm fine," I tell him.

Adam, who I thought had left, sits down beside me.

"I was wondering if you could do me a favor while your there," he says slowly. "Tell your mother the papers have been sent."

"What papers?"

"Just tell her," he says harshly. "And I talked to your principal and she agreed to let you finish school online over the summer. So you better get started."

"Are you serious?" I say, my voice cracking. "That's all you wanted?"

"Emily, I don't have time for this. Have a great summer. Get started on those lessons."

Then he hangs up.

I stare at the phone for a while before putting it back in my pocket.

"Are you okay?" Adam asks me.

I sigh before turning to face him. "He didn't even say happy birthday. I mean, I saw this coming. But shouldn't he at least try?"

When he doesn't say anything, I turn back towards the water.

He scoots closer towards me. "I think I just got dumped," he says.

I look at him, looking for any sign of joking, but don't see anything except sadness with a little bit of relief.

"Tell me what happened," I say after a while.

He smiles a little. "She thought I was being selfish when I told her I didn't want to leave you alone on the beach."

I snort. "That's stupid," I tell him.

He nods. "It really is."

"Why'd you come back?" I ask quietly, almost a whisper.

He looks down for a while before finally answering. "I wanted to prove you wrong."

I laugh quietly. "That won't be too hard then, will it?"

He sighs. "I wanted to prove you wrong about what you said. Not all guys are self-centered."

"So, you're saying that your not self-centered?"

He takes my hand. "I'm saying you shouldn't stereotype all the guys into one category because of something that happened to you."

I look at our intertwined hands. "But what about Claire? She already doesn't like me."

"Don't worry about her," he assures me. "I don't think she likes me any better."

We stare off at the ocean for a while, still holding hands.

How does someone like Adam like someone like me? Or maybe he doesn't.

He just said he wanted to prove me wrong.

That doesn't mean he likes me.

It just means he can't stand the fact that I'm not too boy crazy.

But as he was helping me up, he smiles at me as if I'm the best thing he's laid eyes on.

"Are you hungry?" he asks me while we're in the car.

I shrug. "I think I am."
• • •
Adam walked me up the steps. "I know it isn't much," he says. "But I got you something."

I look at him. "You did?"

He nods, holding out a small rectangular box. "I wanted to give it to you now. Before you go inside. I hope you like it."

Slowly, I reach for the box.

Immediately, I can tell its a bracelet.

"I know I will," I say quietly.

He smiles at me. "Is something wrong?"

I shake my head. "No, I just never..." I trail off.

Adam places a hand on my cheek. "Don't worry about your past, Emily. I won't be like any of the others."

I look down at the box and nod.

"Now let's go celebrate your birthday."

HEY!!!! WELL, THEY'RE DATING NOW. DO YOU THINK ADAM WILL PROVE EMILY WRONG ABOUT HOW SHE VIEWS GUYS?

WHAT DO YOU THINK SO FAR?
FEEL FREE TO SAY WHAT YOU THINK.

ALSO, PLEASE POINT OUT ANY MISTAKES I HAVE MADE. I DONT REALLY ENJOY PROOFREADING SO I HAVE NO IDEA WHETHER I MESSED UP SOMEWHERE OR NOT.

THANKS FOR READING!!!