Chapter: 15

Now I know I love Adam. He's so nice all the time. He took me and the girls to Disney last weekend. We all had so much fun.

When we got home, Jonathan and mom were sitting on the couch watching a movie.

Then that night my dad called again saying he bought me a ticket. And that instead of going to his house, I'll be going straight to my new apartment.

Adam had taken my phone away from me. "You're going to do great, Emily," he told me.

But I honestly don't think so. I'll still be alone all the time. Josie wants to move in with me. So I guess if she does it that could be fun.

Today, a week from when Adam and I will be leaving, Carol's family was having another cookout.

I told Adam I did not want to go. But he insisted. And so, being the great and wonderful girlfriend I am, I went to his family's cookout. Once again, his grandmother hates me. I wasn't expecting her to change. But it would be nice if she stayed out of my way.

At least Oliver is happy to see me. He gave me a huge hug as soon as I walked in the house.

"Adam, she is not a part of your family. What is she doing here?"

I recognized his grandmother's voice immediately.

"Grandma, I wanted her to come. I want her to be here. And if you don't, that's fine. But don't make her feel bad for no reason."

Adam joins me in the couch. "Have you eaten?"

I shake my head. "I'm not very hungry."

"Can I show you something?" he asks in a low voice.

I look at him for a while. "Sure."

We head up to his room. It's the third time I've been in here.

"As you know," he says, shutting the door, "we both leave sometime next week."

I sit on his unmade bed. "Yeah."

"And you know Claire and I are driving there together?"

I nod once more, starting to get uncomfortable.

"Well, I got you something. For you to remember me by."

He holds out a small box.

Reluctantly, I take it.

"It's not very much," he says quietly. "But I think you'll like it."

Inside, is a necklace. The letters A and E are together. It's really beautiful. It's the nicest thing anyone has ever gotten me. Because they actually care, not to make me stay away.

"Do you like it?" he asks when I don't say anything.

I nod. "It's beautiful, Adam. I love it."

He looks down. "Good." Minutes later, "I have to tell you something."

A red siren blares in my head. Telling me to run. But instead, I sit there. Waiting patiently.

"I don't think I'll be able to see you every break," he says quietly. "It's way too much money."

I don't say anything. He's breaking up with me. I knew this would happen. I knew it.

He takes my hand in his. "But I'll still call you. If you can get you're dad to give you some money, you can fly over to Texas and-"

"What?"

He flinches a little. "I was just thinking. Since he has all this money, I was wondering if you could have him give you some."