Chapter 1

September 21st, 1994  

  "Welcome back bobcats to Los Feliz high school for another great year, today is Monday September 17th and here are today's announcements, we have a short list of announcements this morning so stay tuned. Next Friday is our homecoming football game and the following day is our homecoming dance Remember tickets are on sale until the end of next Friday, make sure to buy your tickets soon, have a good day bobcats! Principal Ramsey over and out." Luke Patterson hadn't been paying attention to a word his principal had said over the PA. The High School Senior was too busy trying to peace together some lyrics in a song he had been working on for weeks now.

"Hey guys remind me how many more days are we stuck in this prison with lockers?" Luke ask his best friends Reggie and Alex

"About eight more months Luke, then you can write music until your heart's content!" Alex said sarcastically.

"What are you working on Luke?" Reggie asked.

"I'm stuck on lyrics for that new melody that Bobby and I have been working on for weeks now." Bobby is the fourth member of their band that they formed their Freshman year, Sunset Curve. "It's driving me crazy because the melody and the beat is so good but the lyrics just don't fit."

"Chill dude, were rehearsing after school, we'll figure it out." Reggie said as the bell rang started the third period.

"Patterson, notebooks away, Peters, Mercer seats, now!" Mr.Clark was their mean history teacher who was especially hard on the boys because he had something against music, no one really knew what it was and nobody really cared enough to learn.

"Rude," Reggie whispered to Luke, as he got up to walk to his desk.

"Alright third period we are going to be reviewing for our world map test which is this Friday, you will have to know the twenty main countries in the time period we're studying and the main ruler in that period. Patterson, since you're so busy back there, why don't you tell us who ruled over Russia in the 1930s?" Luke had put his notebook in his lap when Mr.Clark told him to put it away so he could keep working and, again, hadn't been paying attention. He looked to Alex and Reggie for help but both of them shrugged like they were telling him "your on your own man" He looked back to Mr.Clark who was busy putting his lunch in his mini fridge when someone whispered behind him and said "Joseph Stalin" without even thinking if that was the right answer Luke said

"Joseph Stalin" Mr.Clark looked at him, nodded and said,

"That's correct, good job. now put the notebook away and everyone please turn to page thirty seven while I run to the copy room." Luke nodded and turned around to see who helped him after Mr.Clark left. The person was a girl he knew went to school with him, he just never knew her name.

"Hey thanks for saving me, I'm Luke" he said to the girl.

"No problem, and I already knew your name, you know." She answered.

"Really? Oh I'm sorry because I don't know yours." Luke said surprised. Luke and His friends weren't the most popular kids in school. Regardless of their music.

"It's okay, I'm Tegan. And come on why wouldn't I know your name? The lead singer of Sunset Curve? Your joking, I've heard you guys perform, you're really good." Tegan said. That surprised Luke even more.

"Wow thanks. Do you sing or play?" He asked her.

"No, I love music though, unfortunately for me my only purpose in life is getting straight A's then getting into Stanford and becoming some sort of business owner." She answered as she scribbled something in her notebook. "It's what my 'highly successful' dad did so it's what I guess I get to do."