perfect

Enjoy! 🤍

"Because when I look at you, I can feel it. And I look at you and I'm home." - Dory, Finding Nemo
————————————————————

Chapter 59
<—————————————>

I had to bite my lip to stop from giggling at Kade's previous distaste of my movies. "Okay, your turn."

"Mhm..." he considered over his next question for a moment. "Favorite color?"

I rolled my eyes. "Basic."

He chuckled, glancing at me before back at his straw. "This was your idea, sweetheart. Answer it."

"Okay, fine. Red. Some shades of orange are nice as well."

He eyed me with confusion. "Orange?"

I nodded, and scooted our milkshake closer to my side. "Orange is not that bad."

Kade snorted. "You're right, it's terrible."

I rolled my eyes around my straw. "Okay, tell me what's so bad about it."

His nose scrunched in disgust. "The name makes me want to throw up." He scooted our glass away from me. "You don't deserve this shit any longer."

I felt laughter bubble in my chest as I reached for it. Kade took that as an opportunity to trap my hands in his, his eyes glimmering with humor.

My head tilted as I watched his lips tilt. "Kade."

His eyes rung with adoration at me. "Kimberly." Before I knew it, he pulled me closer into his side.

I giggled against him, though I'd never felt more comfortable in my life. "You're going to squish me."

"I couldn't care less."

I rolled my eyes, though I never wanted to leave this spot. "Some chili cheese fries would be nice about right now." I wanted to smack my own self after the words. There were millions of words that I could have chose, but those were the ones I thought best to say.

Humor danced in his eyes as he watched me. "Absolutely not. You're going to be shitting all over the place. In my car, in the movies." I rolled my eyes, before he called for a waitress. I didn't mean for him to order a large order, but he did, anyway.

"There's no way we'll have any room for popcorn," I warned him.

He shrugged his shoulders, his hand trapping my own. "We'll make some."

The upcoming silence was comfortable, and well-welcomed. I wasn't quite sure where we were, but we'd been driving for hours like Kade suggested.

We drove until we found a decent restaurant. Kade had googled the nearest movie theater, and there wasn't one too far from here. I wasn't quite sure what movie we were seeing, but it wouldn't be until a few hours until the showing began.

Today was one of the perfect ones. It felt surreal, actually. I knew we'd have to return home at a certain point, but until then, I was planning on enjoying myself. It was an experience to see Kade so relaxed. We weren't worried about Chivo, or his father, or my mother. We could be us today.

I glanced up when I heard the screeching of the trays. That was quick.

I thanked the waitress as she set our food down. As soon as she walked off, I smiled at the plate of fries in front of me. Kade was focused on the mozzarella sticks while I picked up my fork.

"If you burn your tongue, it's not my responsibility to get you to the hospital," I heard Kade tease.

I chuckled at that. "Thanks for your generous consideration."