you

Enjoy! 🤍

We love because it's the only true adventure." – Nikki Giovanni
———————————————————

Chapter 57

<——————————->

I smiled at Kade's mother as she handed me another cup of warm tea. The beverage was tasteful, but my stomach continued to churn in reaction to tonight.

Her pretty brows drew tight. "Can I help you with anything else, honey?" she asked, concerned with my shaken expression. "Are you sure that you're alright?"

When I walked in, she immediately noticed my terrorized demeanor. I tried not to elaborate on the situation, and instead excused it as a nauseous feeling. I didn't know whether or not she knew that her son was still active in his other life, but either way, I didn't want to disturb her with the thought of losing another child.

I nodded, painting on a smile. "Yes ma'am. Don't worry, I'll be fine. Nothing sleep can't fix."

Susie patted my hand, her lips pulling into a warm smile. "I understand, dear." She stood up. "I'll be in my room if you guys need me. You're welcome to stay for however long you want. Kade stocked the kitchen with your favorite foods, and things of that nature, if you end up getting hungry."

My smile floated into a genuine one at that. "Thank you."

Kade was showering, but a bed sounded like pure bliss right now. I said my goodbyes to Susie then made my way up the stairs and to his bedroom.

The door to his room was already cracked open. I stepped inside, removing my shoes, then sitting on the large bed.

For the first time tonight, I felt secure. Safe.

I laid back, and Kade's scent immediately climbed my nerves. The delicate aroma consisted of a leveled mix between masculine cologne and cigarettes.

My mind began to drift. When I shut my eyes, all I could think about was his conservation with Luke and Levi.

"Me and Luke managed to break down four good ones..."

"We need to catch up on our trades..."

"All Kade needs is one more 2019 model to be done for this month..."

The only thing I could suspect was some type of theft. Which was illegal. As was underground fighting. And street racing. All of these were the things Kade was far too deep in. That could land him up to twenty years...

I shook my head to the thought of prison. My head began to pound as my mind conjured the other negative outcomes.

Now that I thought about it, there were so many cars around the track. So, so many. They all couldn't possibly belong to them...

Earlier tonight, Levi mentioned, "I'm borrowing this one until mine arrives next week..." And, now I knew what he meant.

I rolled onto my side, my back towards the bathroom. I wasn't sure how long Kade had been in the shower, but I found the quiet echo pleasing in this moment.