answers

Enjoy! Thank you guys so much for 27K reads; you're all so amazing!! 🤍

"Talk Less, Smile More." — Aaron Burr.
———————————————————

Chapter 34
<——————————————->

My father eyed me cautiously over the kitchen table. "Are you alright, Kim?"

I feigned an innocent smile as I reached for a glass. "Yeah, the pressure of senior year is getting to me, I guess." Pouring the juice in my glass, I made sure to stretch the time in order to calm his suspicions.

This was slightly true though. Even though I tried to push the thoughts back, I knew that it wouldn't keep the college decisions and applications from my reach. I wasn't even sure on what major or what school I'd choose, but all I knew was that I would have to make my mind up sooner than later.

Once I felt my expression gloss over, I put the juice back in the fridge then sat at the table. My dad gazed over me carefully before nodding. "You sure it's not anything else?" he asked as he reached for the bowl of mashed potatoes.

"Of course." I spooned my food, only to drop it back onto the plate. "I'm fine, dad." Those three words had been said a handful of times but now, I didn't feel like such a liar. For the first time, they were partially true.

Dad's warm eyes crinkled as he smiled. "Alright then." I returned his smile, picking up my fork. The food smelled delicious; it was a recipe Jax had sent to me.

I guessed the conversation to be over but when he cleared his throat, I knew it was not. "Well, I'm glad that we have this minute to ourselves anyway. I need to speak to you about a couple of things."

My mind immediately concluded to school, but surely, the principal would have addressed me directly for skipping first.

I frowned at the tense expression he soon wore. "Is everything okay?"

My dad ran a hand down the stubble of his jaw, something that he only did when he was nervous. "It's about Ryland," my dad said. "Specifically, his mother."

My fork fell in shock, my appetite long gone. I rolled my eyes at the mention of her. I didn't know what Ryland's mother wanted from us now, if anything at all. She didn't deserve an ounce of anything from neither Ryland or my father. Just like my mother, the woman never cared for anyone other than herself when things went and got tough.

"I honestly have no idea how she managed to find us, but, she stopped by here a while back," he began, still rubbing that damn jaw. "And, I've had a minute to think ever since she did."

I said nothing.

Finally, his hand fell. He locked it with his other, bringing them right under his chin as he met my eyes. "And, well...like I have always say to you and your brother, you have to learn to forgive," he continued. "You don't have to forget because that's nearly impossible. Forgiveness means growth and continuation, whether that is with or without said person."

My brows furrowed at his words. I didn't like the leaving impression it had on my nerves. "Okay...and what are we forgiving here?"

I'd never seen my father nervous until now. "Her past mistakes. I know she hurt all of us, I do, but—"

I nearly fell out as the realization set in. "But, what?" I cut him off, narrowing my eyes. There was no way he was serious about what I was thinking.

He raised an eyebrow at me. "But, she is the mother of your brother," he said slowly. "For many reasons that you might never understand, I have allowed her back into our home."