you expect more, you get less

————————————————————
Enjoy💕 Vote, Comment, and Share! 🤍

"You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun." — Sonny Crockett in Miami Vice
———————————————————

Chapter 18
<——————————————->

Raven appeared behind me in the mirror I was staring into. "Kimberly, just calm down." Her hands ran up and down the lengths of my arms.

I jerked around towards her, my nerves skyrocketing. "How can you tell me to calm down? I'm about to go on a date." I hoped it sounded as dramatic as I needed it to.

"So?"

I threw my arms up with a groan. "With Kade," I emphasized.

She laughed, and fell back on my bed. "Hey, I was calm on the date with Levi, wasn't I? Now it's your turn."

I never told Raven that I knew about her and Levi's plan. Kade and I decided that it would be smarter to lie to the two schemers. After a couple weeks, we would tell them that Kade and I decided we would be better off as friends. Then, they would voluntarily drop their plan and forget about forcing us to talk to one another.

I landed on the bed next to her, staring up at the cracks in my ceiling. I knew that our 'date' was fake, yet I still felt on the edge about being with Kade again. I had no self control around him, and I hated feeling that way.

I felt Raven shift until she towered over me with a grin. "So, tell me how this all went down again?"

I rolled my eyes at her. "I already told you the same story five times now."

"I know, but it's too cute," she gushed.

Before I left Kade, we planned everything out perfectly to trick our friends. We would tell the both of them that I had gotten scared and went to Kade's car, then we talked and he asked me out. The lie was quick and simple, and hopefully foolproof.

I huffed then began my sixth telling of the lie, "I thought I heard someone getting near the car, so I hopped out and ran over to Kade's. And after that, he helped me feel better and next thing I know, he was asking me out."

I jumped in surprise when she leaped from the bed. Her hands were clasped together as she bounced. "I can't wait until you two get married, buy a three story house and—"

I cut her hopes off with words of my own, "Okay, way too far, Raven." Her delusions might end up getting my own up.

She nodded, tucking strands of hair being her ear. "I'm sorry, I just think you two are meant to be, you know?" She plopped back down on the bed.

This girl and her fantasies.

"Yeah, sure Raven," I said to finish this.

Her eyes scanned the sweatpants and sweatshirt I was wearing, and a look of discontent followed once they landed on my old converse. "What the hell is wrong with you?"

"Nothing really," I told her as I scanned my appearance. "I just want to be comfortable."

I put my brown hair up into a low ponytail, and left my face bare. I saw nothing wrong with my outfit like she did. There was no way that I was going to purposely try and impress a guy who hated me. Hot or not.

"I hate how you're still hot in a sweatshirt and sweatpants," she told me with a frown.

I looked back at her, and my eyes widened in shock when I saw the seriousness. Had she seen herself in the mirror lately?