4. Status and Assumptions

Marinette came home way later than usual that night. You heard the door slam shut, followed with your sister's nervous rambling.

You opened your door and crept out of your room. "Marinette?" You called softly, knowing your parents were asleep and would disapprove of her being out past curfew.

Marinette stiffened at the sound of your voice. Her mind was swarmed with the memories from the day, and she felt horrible for how she treated you as Ladybug.

She thought that if she approached you as her alter ego she would have an easier time talking to you and maybe get a sort of idea of what was running through your mind, along with her own.

She was so wrong.

Marinette was full of negative emotions but she tried her damndest to keep them away.

Not only did she manage to hurt you again, but her breakup with her boyfriend was really taking a toll on her. She knew it wasn't your fault that she chose the wrong boy to be with. She also knew it wasn't your fault that Master Fu was gone and left her alone with their secrets.

She knew all of that. "Go away, Y/n." She knew all of it wasn't your fault, but who else was there to blame if not herself?

The two of you had been interacting like this for years so it came to no surprise that she was pushing you away again.

You first noticed her bloodshot eyes that were slowly swelling, and the slight downward curve of her eyes and mouth. "Marinette, what's wrong? Did something happen?" You asked gently, stepping towards her—ignoring her previous demand.

She hated you.

She hated you for being everything she wanted to be. Marinette couldn't understand why you cared about her feelings after she stomped on yours.

It pissed her off. "Even if something happened Y/n, it's none of your damn business!" She yelled.

Your eyes widened at how loud she yelled.

"Marinette—you're gonna-"

"God, would you just shut up!?" She screamed, and dammit now she was crying but she no longer cared.

She hated you, she hated herself, she hated how she treated Luka, she hated how she couldn't tell Adrien how she felt, and she especially hated this huge burden of a secret that she was now alone with.

Marinette didn't give you another chance to respond before she was in your face again, "I'm warning you Y/n, just mind your own damn business. You've been trying to ruin my life as long as I can remember so just stop with this loving sister act. It's bullshit!" She sneered, her face so close to yours that you could slam your head into hers with hardly moving if you wanted.

You had enough. Your teeth grinder together and your nails pierced your skin. Anger controlling your every move, you lifted your hands and shoved her hard.

Her back slammed into the stair railing.

"You bitch-" she cried out, trying to stand again.

You stormed over, leaning forward and staring her right in her eyes. "You're done with the sister act?" Your eyes slitted. "Fine. I'm done trying with you. You're fucking impossible."

When you turned, Marinette kicked you on the back of your knees, sweeping your legs out from under you before they got the chance to fully buckle.

You landed on the ground with a loud thud. She charged you, screaming and pinned you to the ground. The back of your head slammed against the floor and when you opened your eyes you were met with Marinette above you, a fist clenched and ready to fire.