18. Desperation and Progress

The rain poured incredibly hard that night.

The two of you stood, drenched, as you faced each other.

Your fists were clenched to your sides as you glared daggers at her.

"That stunt you pulled...how could you?" You had asked her with a shaking, angry tone of voice.

Marinette scoffed as she crossed her arms, tapping her foot anxiously as she desperately tried to pin her eyes to anything but you.

"Answer me dammit!" You cried out and she flinched.

"You just don't understand Y/n!" She yelled and you nodded knowingly.

"Of course I fucking don't! I love him and I love you and I just want the two of you to be happy. I've given you everything Marinette! I tried so hard today but you made me seem like the fool in the end!" You couldn't tell if you were crying, the sensation was diminished by the rain.

"You don't love me. Do you even love him? You're so fucking self absorbed how can you even say you love anyone!?" She screamed, leaving you stunned.

After a few moments the anger began to stir inside of you once more.

"I've had it with your shit Marinette!" You screamed and your voice echoed across the street. You didn't care at all anymore if your parents heard you.

"Then go! You keep saying you're leaving this place, but you never follow through! Just leave already!" Marinette retaliated with a harsh scream and a quivering body. In that moment the light drained from both of your eyes. She had intended to hurt you, she did when she called you self absorbed as well.

Even though she had the intent to hurting you, following through with it made her feel emptier than you ever could.

"Y/n I-" She wanted to fix it right there. This had gone to far. She was always going to far. She wanted to reach out and grab your hand, she wanted to finally let you help her.

You put a hand up, stopping her from coming any closer to your quivering form. "I heard you loud and clear Marinette." You walked in the bakery and slammed the door shut without looking back.

The two of you had been broken for a long time, but that night Marinette turned simple cracks into shatters.

**

"Is Y/n here?" Luka rushed into the bakery not long after you did.

"Well Y/n sure is popular these days." Your mother hummed as she finished rolling out the dough that was sprawled out in front of her. She turned and faced Luka and the surprise was evident on her face. "Oh! Aren't you a friend of Marinette's? It's been a while dear." She smiled nervously.

Luka felt the nerves bundle as well.

He couldn't even believe he ran after you. He was perfectly content with the thought of letting you leave and hate him for the rest of your lives, he deserved it and it would surely make his life much simpler.

But as he watched you walk away he finally came to the realization,

Marinette was the past.

As he watched you walk away he couldn't help but run after you as soon as he grew the courage. He believed it with his whole heart that you were his future.

"I am a friend of both, but I am here to visit Y/n." Luka's voice was shaky as he spoke to your mother.

"You're looking for Y/n?" Marinette walked in, not hearing any of the conversation, but assuming that's why he was here.