Part 17

Chapter 17

The next day, I sat nervously in my dad’s office watching my mom make coffee and my dad shuffling papers around. Branson was already a few minutes late, and Dad was starting to freak out. It was 1:08 when Branson knocked on the office door. He came in with an apologetic smile.

“I’m sorry I’m late. Something came up.” He shot me a look, and I knew it had to do with one of his kids. He had dressed up really nice and was wearing a button down gray shirt, with a light suit jacket over top of it, and black pants. His hair was nicely gelled, and he was clean shaven. He looked amazing. I looked at myself and felt underdressed. I had worn my green button down sweater and a pair of jeans.

“Dad, Mom, this is Branson Tate.”

Branson held out his hand, and my mom and dad both shook it. I let myself be distracted by my dad’s décor. There were pictures of him shaking hands with big named ministers, a picture of our family, and signs that read scriptures. The back wall had a dark wooden bookshelf, tons of books, and a few more pictures.

“Nice to meet you, Branson. So, my daughter tells me you two are going to court.” My dad threw a look at me showing his displeasure. My mom cleared her throat and attempted a smile at both of us.

“We think that’s just wonderful. Zoe has waited for this for a long time.” I think my dad was about to pop a vein when my mom said that. Maybe mom didn’t think I was a complete idiot. I mean one look at Branson and any girl would swoon. Duh.

“Well, we have some rules we need to talk with you about. Since Zoe is bent on not listening to me about Jacob, whom I’m sure she’s told you about, I want to make sure the man my daughter plans to marry isn’t corrupt.” My dad pulled out a notepad and paper with a list of questions. Was he going to interrogate Branson? Holy crap, Dad! I wanted to say but kept silent. I felt Branson’s fear, but he seemed to hide it pretty well.

“Yes, sir,” he said. My dad ushered for all of us to sit, and he folded his hands across his desk. I was freaking out. Dad was going to read him the third degree, and for some reason he could tell when people weren’t telling him the truth; he had a gift.

“Would you like any coffee? My wife Carol made a whole pot.” Was this dad’s attempt at being a host? If so wow.

“I’m okay, thanks.” Branson fidgeted slightly in his chair, everyone fidgets underneath my dad’s stare. It’s like looking at the face of God Himself. Yikes. My dad nodded once.

“Tell me Branson are you a virgin?” my dad asked.

No! Why in the world would my dad ask that question first! I blushed severely as Branson blanched. He hadn’t expected that. Please, lie, please! I said to myself. I didn’t condone lying, but at this moment I wanted nothing more than to hear him lie.

“No,” he said in a whisper. “I’m not, sir.”

My dad stood up in a growl.

“Zoe Grace!”

Did he think I wasn’t a virgin anymore too!

“Did you sleep with that man?” he roared and came around his desk and grabbed Branson by the collar. “I swear if you corrupted my little girl I will kill you and call on every curse from God on you.” A vein bulged on my dad’s forehead.

“Dad! No! I’m still a virgin!” I screamed and blushed in embarrassment. My dad was acting like an insane person! I heard my mom start to cry and felt shame wash over me. Who was I to put my parents through this? Branson’s eyes were so wide I feared he was about to run out the door. My dad let go of Branson’s shirt and stepped back, clearing his throat.