Part 27

Chapter 27

I sat across from Jacob at Espress’ Yourself Café. He looked like he had wrestled with a bull and won as he looked at me, probably thinking that I was here to give my heart back to him. I had to at least try to convince him to not leave Light on the Hill for the sake of my family.

“Jacob, I really wanted to talk to you about something,” I started. He’d ordered us our coffees, and mine sat in front of me untouched. I wasn’t sure how to say what I needed to say. Would he even listen to me at all?

“I’m all ears, girl.” His arrogance made me want to scream inside, but I held it together.

“I know you think what I’m doing is a huge mistake, but that falls on my head. Please don’t punish my family for what I’ve chosen to do. God spoke to my heart that Branson was my husband. So please, convince your dad to stay at Light on the Hill,” I said all this in a rush. I felt extremely nervous as I looked at his suit, slicked back hair, and perfect sleazy smile.

“Your father knows our condition: It’s you I want, Zoe. If I can’t court you then we are out of there. If you want to save Light on the Hill then you need to dump that porno maker and be with me. Why would you even want that loser anyways?”

I let his comments of Branson slide off my back; he was just angry.

“Jacob, you know blackmailing my dad is wrong. Do you really think Jesus would do that? Light on the Hill would close, and all the good work it’s doing for the community would shut down. Do you really want that on your head?” I let him think on that awhile and took a drink of my mocha, hoping Jacob’s heart would change. If Light on the Hill closed a lot of good people would be scattered and hurt. I watched the war go on in his mind.

“Just court me, Zoe, and the church won’t shut down. Please? I love you,” he said, and I heard the desperation in his voice. “I’ve loved you since I stepped into that church when I was a kid. I told my dad the first day we came that I was going to marry you.” He played with his expensive watch that was on his wrist, some of his confidence waning.

“Jacob, you don’t love me. You want me as a prize.” I surprised myself. That’s exactly how it felt, though. I was just a possession he wanted. The perfect wife for him. A pastor’s daughter.

“I love Branson,” I continued, “he’s the one God told me to marry. I’m really sorry.” What else could I say to him? I couldn’t give him what he wanted. Would my dad’s church crumple?

“He’s garbage, Zoe! Why would you want someone’s leftovers? Have you asked him how many girls he’s had in his lifetime? I’ve watched all his videos.”

I felt sick to my stomach. For one. Ew. For two, why would he be watching porn to begin with? My face began to turn red with embarrassment.

“Why? Why would you watch those?” I said through a whisper.

“I wanted to see why you wanted that guy. I can change for you, Zoe; I can do whatever you want me to do. I promise. I can change.” He sounded convincing, looking like he was going to cry. “I would do anything to win you over.”

“The greatest love is to lay your life down for your friends, Jacob. Can’t you lay your life down for me? I’m not supposed to be your wife.” I turned away from his begging eyes and drank some more of my coffee. I had a gut feeling that this discussion was going nowhere. He wanted me, and that wasn’t going to happen at all.

“Jacob, I love Branson. That was then, this is now. He’s a different man. He’s not that person in those videos anymore. He’s been born again.” I played with a silver ring on my middle finger, not wanting to look at Jacob. Everyone judged Branson’s past. Everyone. I couldn’t imagine facing that every day.

“He’ll cheat on you, Zoe.” Jacob’s jaw clenched together giving me a this woman is a dumb mule look.

“No. He won’t,” I stated flatly.

Jacob rested his elbows on the table, and I could tell he was fighting his inner thoughts, knowing that he was losing this battle with me, and that I wasn’t going to give up Branson.

“Your dad is cheating with Mia,” he said with a sneer. I think he meant to hurt me with it, but I already knew—thank God I already knew.

“I know.” Tension spread throughout my body, my face heating up with annoyance at him. It was hard not to be angry about the situation with my dad; I was still working on that in my heart.

“My dad was threatening to leave because he found out about that. I put on the condition of you courting me, and my dad said he would keep his mouth shut if you would be my wife. That was our condition. The people at Light on the Hill deserve to know that their pastor is committing adultery. If I can’t convince you to be with me, then Light on the Hill is done for.” He stood to his feet and glared at me, and I grabbed his arm.

“Please, Jacob, a lot of good people go there. They will be really hurt when they find out about my dad. Let him work it out in his own way. Love covers a multitude of sins. Let my dad work this out between himself and God.” I couldn’t help it tears instantly pooled in my eyes. His scowl deepened as he stared at me.

“I don’t know if my family can do that. Either you court me, or we leave. That’s it.” I felt like his words were a giant hammer. Man.

“Goodbye then, Jacob,” I said and stood to my feet and walked toward the door. I turned once to look at him and saw his face full of sorrow. He really did care for me, didn’t he? I felt a prick, not ready for the upcoming storm my family was about to face. I went to my car and drove home.