Part 34

Grace Unbroken

Grace Alive Series Book 2

(Sample)

Copyright © 2014 Natasha House

All rights reserved. This book contains material protected under International and Federal Copyright Laws and Treaties. Any unauthorized reprint or use of this material is prohibited. 

Natasha House

Chapter 1

I carefully applied my eyeliner for the fifth time in a row tonight. I was going to do it this time. I was almost there. Just a little bit more.

“Hi, lil’ sis, how’s it going?”

I jumped, and there went my perfect line. A black streak went down the side of my eye.

“Urgh!”

“Oh, sorry, that’s a bummer,” my older brother Cam said with an apologetic shrug.

“It’s okay; it was a hopeless cause anyways.” I glared at the streak going down my face and heaved a sigh. “What’s up, Cam?” I tried to keep the annoyance out of my voice. Cam gave me a ‘sorry’ smile again.

“Mom wanted me to tell you that we’re leaving in 10 minutes. You almost ready?” I could tell he was staring at the black streak that was going down my face. I forced a grim look and nodded, then broke out into a fit of giggles.

“Do you think I could pull off the ‘I did my makeup blindfolded’ look?” I asked.

“Sis, you could pull off any look and make other girls jealous.” Cam reached over and kissed my dark hair. “Just a warning, Benny has gas. Bad.” Benny is our six-year-old brother.

“Thanks for the heads up. I’ll practice holding my breath right now. Tell Mom I’m almost ready. It’ll be just a—few more minutes.” I made a face at myself in the mirror, which made Cam chuckle.

“Okay, but, Clare, you might want to fix that.” He pointed at my tribal makeup. I went to go slap his arm, but he darted out of my reach and shut the door with a grin. I made quick work of my face and decided that I’d attempt this eyeliner battle one more time.

After the sixth time, I finally looked halfway put together. 10 minutes. I had 10 minutes. I grabbed my curling iron and did a fast curl job on my mid-length black hair. My hair drives me nuts most days. It’s got this ‘fly-away’ syndrome. I try my best to make it look halfway decent and then it just decides to do whatever it wants.

After hair spraying the crap out of it, I gave a satisfied nod and looked at the tornado I’d created in my room.

I’m a rummager. When I can’t find the perfect outfit, or I’m in a hurry, every piece of clothing I own ends up on the floor or thrown on my bed. I looked down at my tiger shirt accented by silver gems, my black skinny jeans, and a pair of red boots that went up to my knees. I’d put on my favorite necklace which was a tiny tiger’s paw. I love tigers. They are my fav!

“Clare bear! Time to go!” my mother called from the living room. I heard the front door open and close and knew Mom was heading toward the van. I have to say, having a name that rhymes with everything can get annoying. Clare bear. Clare hair. Clare pear. I mean think about that for a bit. Annoying.

“Coming!” I ran out of my bedroom, glancing once more at my full length mirror. Good enough.

“Pull my finger, Clare!” Benny shoved his finger in my face as I tried to get out the door. I ignored him as I bumped him lightly to get by. I got into our mini-van that I just loved to be seen in and shut the door behind me. Ben and Cam climbed in the other door, my mom and dad were already in the van.