Part 25

Chapter 26

“How’s the custody case going with Rachel?” I asked Branson, seeing the worn out expression on his face.

“Rachel hates me. She absolutely hates me,” Branson said as we sat around a small round table at the café a week or so later.

“Branson, it’ll be fine. You’re just trying to keep Bree safe.”

“She keeps asking me why I don’t try and take the twins from Julie. In her opinion Julie is just as screwed up as her, but Julie isn’t in an abusive relationship, and Rachel just thinks about her own needs—not the needs of Bree.” The intensity on his face blew me away. “Julie actually acts like a mom and plays with the twins. Rachel hardly looks at Bree, plus she never even wanted Bree to begin with.” He rubbed his fingers through his hair. “Okay, enough depressing stuff! Let’s talk about something fun!” He smiled at me.

“Let’s talk about bacon,” I said, and I saw a smile stretch across his face.

“Bacon is good, I like bacon,” he agreed and took a long drink of his coffee.

“I think a bacon pizza is in order for tonight. Your place. And a cheesy, cheesy movie that makes us regret watching it. What do you say?” I said.

“I think it’s a date.” He leaned across the table and kissed me, making me blush.

“Now don’t get all mushy on me, Branson Tate,” I said with a lazy smile.

“You love mushy gushy stuff, Zoe Grace. Let me just give you a kissy wissy.” He came around the table and tried to kiss my face all over. I pushed him away with a laugh, lightly slapping his chest.

“Sit down.”

He looked at me with pretend hurt, sticking his lip out, growing his eyes wide like a sad puppy dog.

“Are you ready for Christmas?” he asked me.

“Christmas? Um, no.” It was only November.

“What are you going to buy me?” he asked and downed the rest of his coffee, shuddering with delight, and smacking his lips together. “Good coffee. I feel like I can run a marathon now.”

“What are you going to buy me?” I threw back at him with a light smile, sipping at my drink, wanting to savor the taste of the warm chocolate coffee mix. I love mochas. They are so amazing.

“A pony,” he said and wiggled his eyebrows making me laugh.

“Does Bree like her daycare?” I asked as I played footsy under the table with him making his smile stretch wider.

“Um, how in the heck do you expect me to give you a legitimate answer when you are doing that?”

“Can’t you do two things at once?” I asked.

“I’m a man. No,” he said. I kept up with my footsy until he threw up his hands.

“I surrender. I am like putty in your hands. I will do anything!”

“Give me a neck massage,” I joked. He jumped out of his chair, came around to stand behind me, put his hands on my neck, and started rubbing.

“Branson, seriously? Okay, sit down. I was joking!” I laughed, but he totally ignored me. “Let’s go back to your house. You never answered my question by the way. Does Bree like her daycare?”

“She loves it. She’s always covered in glitter when I take her home, so I know she’s having fun. Come on, let’s go to my house, and you can play all the footsy you want.”