Part 21

Chapter 21

A couple days later, I turned on my computer and opened up Facebook. I had several messages from people, so I started reading them. Tears gathered against my will as I skimmed one after another from several young adults in our church—Mia being one of them.

Zoe, your dad told us what was going on. He’s really worried about you. Who is this guy? Why would you give up your salvation for a player? You’re so much better and smarter than that! Even though the message was short it hurt the most. Was I better than Branson? I didn’t think so. Maybe he’d committed a lot of sins in his past, but hadn’t I? Wasn’t sin still sin? Several other messages later had me heaped with guilt.

I know Branson, Zoe, he’s bad news! One of my old roommates in college started dating him. She was so in love with him! She constantly talked about how good sex was with him and how attractive he was. He made money selling pictures and movies of them. Zoe, please, please, dump this idiot! You are going to regret it otherwise! He’s a terrible person, and God could never bless someone like that! Kate

I already knew what Branson had done, but seeing people bash him and smearing his past everywhere was getting to me. All they’d know is that I was courting a guy who had slept around. Tears came to my eyes as I read more messages—I didn’t even want to read them. When I saw Jacob had left me one I cringed. He’d been the start of all this. I hovered over the message and finally clicked on it.

I’m praying for your soul, Zoe. This man is straight from Hell to persuade you to turn to worldly things. Think about it, Zoe! He has kids by other women! How do you even know if this guy has AIDS or not? Your marriage will fail, it won’t work! What if you aren’t as good a lover as other girls he’s had. I’ve watched some of his videos, Zoe, and he’s messed up. He’s a lowlife, and you’d be a complete idiot to continue with this relationship. Plus, if you don’t come back to me, my family and I are pulling out of Light on the Hill Church along with our money. Your dad tried to persuade you, but maybe that will instead. Your parents’ church will suffer, and you know it! Because of your disobedience to God!

I stared at the screen. Wait, what? Jacob and his family were going to leave if I didn’t court him? Was this new news? Or was that the reason my dad had forced me into that relationship in the first place? Anger spilled over, and I grabbed my pillow and screamed into it. Seriously? How low could one family go! I didn’t even like Jacob, let alone love him! That’s insanity! He’d watched some of Branson’s videos. I felt sick. What if he’d shared them around with people? I scooted back from my desk and started throwing stuff in boxes. I had to get out of this house and fast.

Your marriage will fail, it won’t work! What if you aren’t as good a lover as other girls he’s had. The words Jacob had said pounded in my head over and over. What if I was a terrible lover? What if our marriage did fall apart because of Branson’s past? Zoe, Zoe…peace…peace. Do not fret. The voice of God calmed my frayed nerves.

God, I replied in my thoughts, people are talking about Branson and what he did in his past! What do I do? How do I convince them that he’s different now?

Peace, Zoe.

God, you have to help me fix this.

Peace, Zoe. I finished shoving stuff in the box and shut it with a sigh. I looked over at the open message and balled my fists. How dare Jacob do that? How dare he? I stormed over to my computer and began to furiously pound the keys. I read my message twice and hit send. Crap. I shouldn’t have done that. He was right. Light on the Hill would suffer. I flung my door open and went downstairs.

My dad was probably at church studying. My mom was at some meeting. I ran to my car and peeled out of the driveway. I was going to confront this now. Did my dad say God told me because of Jacob’s family’s threat? I had to know! I got to the church and jumped out of my car and practically ran inside. I opened the building and went to my dad’s office, not bothering to knock; I flung open the door. The image before me sent me into shock, burning into my memory forever. My dad. A girl. There were clothes scattered on the ground, and they were… I turned around and faced the other way, my face blanching.