14

It was past midnight. My mother was on the phone telling on me to my father. She was such a snitch!

She was dressed in a white bodycon dress, her hair in a perfect low bun that would break if hit with a hammer, like she always said even in the middle of crisis a woman ought to be elegant. that was the opposite of who i was, even at my best i could never come close to her elegance.

"I thought we taught you well? we gave you everything and you want to throw it away for a boy you just met?" She spoke after ending her call.

It was just my first date and my mother was acting like i was now ruined.

"It was a one date. Nothing happened."

sadly.

He didn't kiss me.

"It should remain that way until you graduate and marry a man of substance." she felt the fabric of my dress between her fingers and shook her head in disapproval.

I couldn't understand her disapproval with my dating while she and father started dating in high school.

"He is a man of substance." I knew better not to get into a disagreement with her but i wasn't ready to let go of my Leo dream.

She huffed in disbelief, "College guys only want one thing." Her stare burned through me. i wasn't that naive my gut told me Leo was different.

"But you and dad..."

she cut me off mid sentence and narrowed her eyes on me, "Don't ever live your life basing it on a perceived success of someone. you don't know half the story. we are only trying to protect you." She gave a serious look.

It was hard to figure her out.

I knew it was a closed chapter and speaking more about it was defying my mother's boundary and would just anger her more, hence greater the punishment.

The rest of the ride was spent in an awkward silence.

******

I lifted my head and found Lydia staring at me.

"Why don't you just call him." She suggested.

It had been two days since my date with Leo. Two days since my dramatic mother dragged me back home. He was yet to call and i was growing anxious if i should be the one to call. The night did end in a promising manner, he did speak about a second date. That meant he liked me, right?

"Will i not seem too desperate?" i decided to put my books a way since i couldn't even concentrate on them.

Lydia let out a mocking laugh, "Serious, you haunted the guy down, now a call seems desperate?" she bluntly said.

I flashed a smile to conceal my wounded feelings caused by words. "He will call." i murmured under my breath.

"When are you coming back to live in the hostels." She asked.

"That is up to my father when he comes back today." I said.

she laughed and shook her head, "Wow, your parents are pretty uptight mine don't know the direction leave alone the name of the university i am admitted."

It was the first time she was talking about her family, we only spoke about mine.

I agreed with her, "You don't know half of it."

Across our table my driver and Annie, our help who was acting as my chaperone throughout the campus sat. Hiring people to watch and follow me around wasn't even near the extremes my parents would go just to control my life.