33

Prudence Pov

I was ecstatic the next day as I sat in Leo's truck. My father had called him and asked him to come over and pick up his check. At first, he couldn't believe it, but eventually, he realized it was real.

After being grilled for an hour, locked inside my father's office, Leo finally emerged. I expected him to be happy, but something seemed off even as we drove away.

"What did my father say?" I asked him.

He glanced at me briefly. "Nothing, he just gave me the money," he shrugged.

"You're unusually quiet," I stated the obvious. "Aren't you happy with the amount?" I asked.

He sighed. "I am happy with the amount and the fact that you helped," he replied.

His appreciation warmed my heart, and I smiled warmly in response.

"You're only seventeen years old?" he asked, surprising me with his curiosity and making me wonder why it mattered.

I nodded. "Yeah, I turned seventeen earlier this year. Why?" I inquired.

"Wow! So, basically, you're still a minor. How old were you when you finished high school?" He seemed bothered by this and couldn't fathom why it was an issue.

"Sixteen, but if my mother wasn't so paranoid, I would have been done by fifteen," I answered, causing him to glare at me.

"I am academically gifted," I added proudly.

He appeared surprised by my confession. "Your father just threatened to have me jailed if I touch you inappropriately since you're a minor," he spoke, and now I understood his change of mood after leaving my father's office.

"Don't mind him, he's just being a protective father," I said, hoping to ease his concerns.

"Does he know we live together?" he asked.

"Do you want me to be disowned or worse?" I retorted.

"But if he finds out, it'll be worse for me," he replied.

"He won't find out, and even if he does, the worst he can do is cut me off," I knew that's what my parents would do, but I was willing to face the consequences for Leo. Besides, I could apply for a student loan to continue my studies.

"But it could ruin everything for me," he said, and I started to feel like he was pushing me away.

"What are you saying?" I asked as we arrived at the apartment. He ignored me as he parked the truck, and I followed suit.

Silence enveloped us as we climbed the stairs to our apartment.

"You haven't answered me," I insisted once we were inside.

"I'm having second thoughts about us," he finally dropped the bombshell.

I was dumbfounded. It wasn't how I had hoped the day would end. I had assumed we would return to our apartment, kiss, and enjoy each other's company while playing a game of our choice.

"All of this because of my age?" My tears threatened to spill.

He shook his head and rubbed his temple. "I think we're just not compatible. We come from different worlds."

"But it wasn't an issue before," I pleaded.

He moved to the kitchen, and I followed him. "Look," he pointed at the dirty dishes, "They've been there for a week, and you've never bothered with them," he spoke, raising his voice. Then he started walking towards the bedroom. "And look at how your suitcase and clothes are scattered everywhere!" he shouted.

I had never seen this side of him before.

"I still don't understand what I've done," confusion clouded my mind as I wondered why all of this was suddenly becoming an issue.

"You're used to having everything done for you. You're a dependent kid, incapable of functioning on your own, and I don't see a future with you."

It seemed as though he had chosen this day specifically to inflict pain upon me.

"I will prove that I'm capable of functioning without assistance," I declared, leaving the bedroom and opting to remain in solitude.

I entered the kitchen and gazed at the chaotic mess in front of me. I had never done the dishes in my entire life, but I was desperate to show Leo otherwise.

The task turned out to be much more difficult than I had imagined, especially with leftovers that had formed mold. Nevertheless, I persevered. I walked over to the fridge and retrieved a bag of bones that Leo had asked me to use for making broth. With a sigh, I realized I didn't know how to defrost them quickly.

I was tempted to ask Leo for help, but he appeared too furious. Instead, I grabbed the pressure cooker and placed the bones inside, hoping that the heat would expedite the defrosting process. Filling it to the brim with water, I positioned it on the stove.

Leaving it to cook, I returned to the bedroom. Leo was on the phone but ended the call abruptly upon spotting me. I disregarded his presence and began collecting the clothes scattered on the floor, sorting them into clean and dirty piles.

Suddenly, a loud explosion echoed throughout the house. "Did you hear that?" I turned to Leo.

He was already on his feet. "Stay here," he commanded.

Baffled by his sudden warmth in his voice, I defied his order and followed him to the source of the sound.

We halted in the kitchen. The pressure cooker had exploded, leaving water splattered everywhere.

He turned to face me, disappointment evident in his expression. "This is exactly what I'm talking about," he stated, and walked away.

I didn't need to ask for clarification; I knew deep down that this was the end.