30

Prudence pov

As I strolled alongside Lambo Wong, the afternoon sun caressed our faces and the breeze brushed against our skin, carrying with it the faint scent of blooming flowers. Suddenly, Lambo's gaze fixated on something in the distance and she nudged me, "Hey, it's Lydia!" she exclaimed, pointing to a figure in the distance.

Sure enough, there was Lydia, with her friend Alex by her side, completely oblivious to our presence. We decided to approach them, and just as we reached their side, Alex was the first to notice us. "Hey," he greeted us with a smile, but then quickly turned to Lydia, "I'll catch up with you later," he said, before leaving Lydia with us.

Lydia's face lit up as soon as she saw me. "Why didn't you tell me you were coming today?" she pouted.

"I wanted to surprise you after classes," I explained, longing for the days we spent together, laughing and gaming.

Meanwhile, Lambo stood to the side, feeling a bit out of place. "Email me the link and I'll see you next week," she said, sensing that it was time for her to leave.

As Lambo disappeared from view, Lydia commented, "Seems like the local food is agreeing with her," watching Lambo's retreating figure.

I chose not to respond to her remark, having grown accustomed to Lydia's tendency to make offhand comments and engage in gossip. Although it was true that Lambo had put on some weight since we last met, it wasn't my place to comment on it.

We continued walking towards the hostels, with Lydia draping her arm over my shoulder, a gesture of familiarity that I had grown accustomed to. "So..." she raised her eyebrows, prompting me to respond.

"So?" I echoed, eager to catch up with my old friend.

"How is Leo and anything new?" She winked at me.

I smiled, "Get your head out of the gutter, I am standing by my principles."

She feigned disappointment, "So you are living like siblings?" She asked.

I bite my lip and said, "He kissed me yesterday." I said.

Lydia stopped walking and turned to me shocked, "What?"

"We kissed, " I clarified.

We proceeded to walk again, "That was fast for someone standing by their principles." She mocked me and I was irritated by it, but did not show.

"It was terrible and I do not see that happening again, " I responded with traces of sadness.

We were already at the hostel and waited for Lydia to open the door. Once she was done we walked in. My bed was now the 'laundry chair'. I missed it, but I knew I would choose staying with Leo over coming back here.

"I think he is embarrassed by me," I said sitting on Natalie's bed.

"He asked you to move in with you, that doesn't look like a decision of someone embarrassed of you." She explained.

I told her about his lie this morning and how he left me in the middle of the road and hasn't responded to my text since the last time I saw him.

"That is not cool." She said thoughtfully and added, "I have an idea."

"What are you planning?" I asked warily, knowing all too well the kind of trouble Lydia's ideas could get me into.

"Just trust me." She said.

****

On yet another Friday, the Annex was packed to the brim with students. It was Lydia's idea to surprise Leo at the Annex, but I wasn't sure if he would even be there. Our relationship was still in its early stages, and Leo rarely shared his plans with me. Nevertheless, Lydia insisted that I mark my territory and, if Leo wasn't there, make sure to stay out all night to show him that two could play the game. It was a toxic move, but I was hurt by Leo's lack of communication.

Natalie agreed to join us, but Harriet declined, as she was leaving for the teaching hospital the next day. As I scanned the bar, searching for Leo, I could feel my confidence waning. The noise was overwhelming, and unfamiliar faces were everywhere.

"He's not here," I shouted to Lydia and Natalie above the din.

"Let's ask the bartender about Leo," Natalie suggested.

I hesitated, feeling uncertain and vulnerable.

Lydia pushed me forward, and we navigated our way through the sweaty bodies to the counter. The bartender was handsome, but he bore no resemblance to Leo.

"What can I get you, pretty ladies?" he asked, winking at us. I saw Natalie blush, something I'd never witnessed before. I scowled at her.

"Don't judge me," she whispered, rolling her eyes.

"Is Leo around?" Lydia asked.

"Leo?" the bartender repeated, looking puzzled. "He's not working today."

"Do you know where he is?" I asked hopefully.

Before he could answer, three men appeared beside us. I recognized all of them as Leo's friends, and the memory of our first encounter made me shudder. I stepped back as they approached, and they immediately recognized me.

"I was wondering why my spirits were so high today. Now I know they were preparing me to meet you again," a man with a deep scar on his cheek said, teasing me.

I wanted to run away, but I couldn't move.

"Don't you remember me, fluffy nuggets?" he continued, grinning.

"Edwin, leave the poor girl alone," another man spoke. His voice was deep and terrifying.

"Stay out of this, Nathan," Edwin warned.

"You're Leo's girl, right?" the third man with a scary face asked.

I didn't respond.

"If you see him, tell him that Python is looking for him," he said.

"We have to go," I spoke instead feeling unsafe. I couldn't understand why Leo, as brilliant and upstanding as he was he was friends with those scary guys.

"Who are those guys?" Natalie asked once we were outside.

"Leo's friends." I spat in distaste.

"They look like gangsters." Lydia added her comment.

"I wouldn't be surprised if they were." I said, "I can longer stay." I informed them.

Lydia explained that she had already asked her friend Alex to join her so she couldn't leave and Natalie didn't want to go back to the hostels and be alone so the only option left was for me to leave and just hoped there were buses at that time