36

For days, I hadn't gotten out of bed since I came back to the hostels. My roommates sensed something was amiss. I snapped at Lydia for just leaning on my bed – I had never felt such anger before. The emotions were pent up inside me, and I didn't know who I was turning into.

I checked my phone, and it seemed my roommates were either in classes or avoiding me. I hadn't eaten in a while. I knew another day of starvation, and I would be gone.

I forced myself to get out of bed, slipping on my flip flops. Grabbing a half-drunk bottle of water, I took a gulp, but it all came back up, leaving a bitter taste in my mouth.

I couldn't continue like this, but I didn't know how to function again. Putting on a black hood and sweats, I didn't care how I looked as I walked to the cafeteria.

Each step left me with a sinking feeling in my stomach, and I felt even more nauseated.

I decided to head to the cafeteria at the business center, with the intention of passing by Annex to maybe catch a glimpse of Leo. The elections had happened yesterday, and he had won – at least, that's what I heard. I fought the temptation to go online and see his reaction after winning. He must have been happy.

As I approached Annex, I noticed Leo's group of friends turning toward me. My initial plan was to avoid them until I heard someone call my name. I turned to find it was the girl Leo was kissing back at my house.

"Prudence, right?" She confirmed, and I nodded, feeling exhausted.

She smiled, her head swiveling back to her friends. Leo wasn't there.

"You look different in the daytime," she commented, and I couldn't tell if it meant good or bad, not that I cared. All I wanted was a meal for my burning stomach.

"Nice to see you again," I said, hoping to end the awkward, unasked, and unwanted conversation.

"We have a celebratory party for Leo's winning. You should come. I'm sure Leo will be happy to see you," she said.

I shook my head, "We broke up," I replied.

She glared at me, confused. "Oh!" was all she could say.

I sighed, "In case you see him, tell him that I will have someone come for my things at the apartment."

Her eyes widened, "Apartment?" she asked.

I nodded, "Yeah."

"You two were living together? For how long?" She seemed even more shocked and confused.

"I have to go," I said, as my stomach became more painful.

As I left, she seemed lost in her own world. I doubt she even heard me talk.

I shouldn't have come here, but my heart desired to see him one more time and maybe offer congratulations, even though he broke my heart. I was happy for him, even if I wasn't happy myself. I found myself standing at the entrance of a bustling party. It was Leo's celebration party, and I couldn't believe I had mustered the courage to come. The dim lights and loud music only heightened my sense of anxiety. My heart pounded in my chest, but I reminded myself that I needed closure, to say my final goodbyes, and... I didn't even know what I wanted.

"Pru?" I turned to see Lydia walking towards me with Natalie.

"What are you doing here?" Lydia asked excitedly.

"N...n..o.thin..g," I stuttered.

"You should be there with your boyfriend celebrating," Natalie tilted her head, and I followed her direction, and that's when I saw him. He was dressed in a suit, with a permanent smile etched across his face. He seemed okay, our breakup didn't affect him in any way, like it did with me.

I looked away momentarily, blinking away tears. I had not told any of them about my breakup.

"Who is that?" Lydia asked, and I turned back and saw Kourtney walk up to him. She saw me watching them and forced a smile at me.

Leo turned to her and gave her a soft smile, something he rarely did with me. She wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him for a quick kiss, and he reciprocated with the same enthusiasm.

"What is going on?" Natalie asked, and my legs just started to walk towards them while tears were streaming down my face.

Finally, Leo's eyes found mine. "Prudence?" he said, moving away from Kourtney.

"This is it?" I stopped in front of him, Kourtney finally turning to me.

"What do you want?" Leo asked.

"All along, you were lying and making a fool of me." I snapped at him.

"We are done, whatever we had is over. Move on," he said.

"Were you with him all along?" I turned to Kourtney.

She stared at me with no response, and I wiped the tears that were still flowing.

"You should go," Leo warned.

People were starting to look in our direction, and I was growing weaker by each passing second.

"You played me, made me believe that you liked me, and I was naïve enough to believe you. Someday, Leo, I will make you regret this." I waved my index finger at him as I turned and ran out of Annex.