Coincidence

Yamato and Sai were the first to arrive in Tanzaku Gai, or so they thought. The two made a very odd pair to say the least. It was very obvious to even the most ignorant civilian that the duo were ninja. Their status as top ranking shinobi was evident in their bearing. The way they walked, their posture, and awareness of their surroundings - all of those things were small indicators of their power and strength. In a trade town like Tanzaku Gai, Leaf shinobi can stand out easily.

It was easy for Kita and Sakura to find their comrades. Yamato and Sai were having drinks at an open patio tea house. It was a sunny spring day, and even though it was late in the day, pleasant enough to enjoy the patio. Yamato was sipping sake, obviously enjoying it. Sai had an iced jasmine tea, but it was impossible to tell if he, like his teammate, was enjoying it - his face remained an unchanging mask. Both looked up as the pair of kunoichi approached them. In truth, it was hard not to notice them, there weren't a lot of ninja in Tanzaku Gai, let alone ones with pink hair.

Yamato smiled at the visage of Kita as they approached, it brought back memories of their shared youth - she still loved her blades. She'd been in the same class as him, Yamato was almost as big a prodigy as Kakashi had been. With a silent sigh, Yamato remembered with embarrassment the secret crush he had on the ninja girl with the golden eyes. With the four year age difference, he'd been entirely too young to even register on her radar.

As the two kunoichi moved to the table, Yamato nodded at the empty chairs, welcoming them to join, "Ne."

Kita and Sakura had barely sat down with the waiter, a young boy no older than ten came to take their order. The youth had round, happy eyes and he tried to act as mature as possible as, obviously very proud that his family's shop was being honored with the presence of not just two but four ninja. The females gave their order and watched the boy move with great haste to deliver the order to the kitchen.

"Did you just arrive?" Yamato asked in between sips.

"No we've been here for hours, I've been showing Sakura some of the places I know. Taking the opportunity 'to be seen'."

Yamato nodded knowingly, and replied, "Yes, Sai and I chose an easier way to be seen after the hurried travel, this seemed like a good choice."

"What of Kakashi and Naruto? Have they arrived yet?"

Yamato and Sakura laughed at Kita's question...it was obvious she didn't know Naruto or Kakashi.

"Nani?"

With a straight face, belying no humor, Sai explained, "Kakashi-sensei is always late."

"And he most likely sensei had to wake Naruto up," Sakura added with a knowing smirk.

"Eh," Yamato nodded in agreement, "no small task either." This time Sakura and Sai nodded in agreement.

Kita looked somewhat stupefied by their shared assessment.

With that the four settled in to await the arrival of the last two members of their team.

Naruto and Kakashi did not leave Konoha immediately as expected. First Kakashi detoured to the Hokage's office, leaving Naruto waiting alone in the antechamber, while he obtained more details about their mission. Leaving the Hokage building the two ninjas took to the rooftops, but instead of heading for the village gates as Naruto expected, Kakashi veered to the village center. From the village center, Kakashi led them to a residential area. Finally Kakashi stopped on the broad patio of a top floor apartment. With a look back to Naruto, Kakashi said, "I'll be ready to go in a few minutes."

Naruto followed Kakashi inside, finding himself in a modest but well furnished living room. Kakashi walked down a hall to another part of the apartment, that Naruto could only assume lead to the bedroom. From the ease of Kakashi's posture, Naruto knew at once they were at the senior jounin's home. As he took in the décor around him, Naruto realized that he'd never been to his team leader's home - until that moment, he hadn't even known where Kakashi lived.